Reservation only available at the train station - Sofia night train.

Hi everyone.

I have a global pass and planning on going to Istanbul (among others). It’s the beginning of the trip and I’d like to have that covered and make reservations so I’m not stuck in a foreign country I’ve never been in. 

But I’ve recently learned that you can only buy tickets at the station !! Which means that I would land in a country not knowing if I can get out of it (by the Sofia night train). Have you been in that situation ? Are there any way to contact the station and book the tickets ?

Was the train full ? How did you manage that situation ?

And if you took that train, how much was the fee to book a reservation ?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Simply stop these fears. This train has only been so recently come back in service-and is much more expensive (on normal tix) as the alternative multitude of BUSes that its highly unlikely to be full. What MAY occasionaly happen-mostly to people with extreme wishes re sleeper/private or the like, is that THIS type of acomm is sold out-or simply not there on that day. You have to be a tiny bit of flexible.

All these fears in these areas of the world are unfounded-you are not competing for the tiny allotment of quota seats on €*.

Also; basic fundamental knowledge: you do not have to leave it till 5 mins before dep to book-pass by at station a day or 2 before, find counter, do it-I guess you stay the odd day in this city around the golden Horn?

There was just an other outcry of someone who got stuck due to yet another Strike-of the jolly railwayworkers union. Or there may be a landslide blocking the rails. or there may be this or that. If you cannot cope with all that, then stay home. or train brain to think of realistic alternatives.

Thank you so much for your answer but I did not understood all of that. 

I feel like fearing to be blocked in a country at the begining of the journey is realistic and should not be cancelled like that. I’m looking for answers and numbers. How much the train costs. How much the buses costs. Is it worth it paying extra money when I’ve already booked my global pass. Etc. 

Please don’t tell me to stay home, I feel like you’re being condescendent. I’m only asking for advises. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have a global pass and planning on going to Istanbul (among others). It’s the beginning of the trip and I’d like to have that covered and make reservations so I’m not stuck in a foreign country I’ve never been in. 

But I’ve recently learned that you can only buy tickets at the station !!

For Sofia/Bucharest to Istanbul this is indeed the case. For many other trains, there are more options.