Skip to main content
Solved

Route planning for camping in France/Switzerland?

• 18 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi all!

I’m planning a trip with my partner this August to France, with a brief stint in Switzerland to meet some friends. We decided to buy 4-day interrail passes to make travel easier. Our current itinerary for our travel days:

Day 1: London » Paris » Camping spot one?

Day 2: Camping spot one? » Fribourg

Day 3: Fribourg » Camping spot two

Day 4: Camping spot two? » Paris » London

I’ve already booked seat for our Eurostar to and from Paris, but I’d be very grateful to get some advice on the two camping spots above!

Here are the specific criteria:

Camping spot one (3-4 nights):

• We can reach it from Paris in a day (starting from Gare du Nord around 9:30-10:00)
  • We can reach Fribourg from it in a day
  • Easy to reach from train station via walking/bus/hitchhiking

Camping spot two (2-3 nights):

• We can reach it from Fribourg in day
  • We can reach Paris from it in a day (making sure we get to Gare du Nord by 21:00)
  • Easy to reach from train station via walking/bus/hitchhiking

Things we like generally:

• hiking in coasts/mountains/forests
  • swimming
  • beaches

I realize that might be a bit broad of an ask, so also I’m keen to hear any nice places you’ve camped in France, Switzerland or nearby that might fit the bill!

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Finding a camping spot in Paris feels a bit like a contradiction in itself, however what could maybe help you in your search:

When I was planning my rail trip I extensively used the map-function in hotel-booking-websites on one screen, and the railway line on my Apple-phone. I found the public-transport view in Apple-maps particularly clear (without clutter as in Google Maps). Then by following the itenerary, the challenge was to find accomodation nearby a railway station. This way I found multiple accomodations right next to the station, or in the former station-building.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is a camping almost in the middle of Berne, just on the shore of the river Aare.

https://www.campingeichholz.ch/home-e.html