Secret Spots — Rorschach Heiden Bahn

• 1 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hello Travellovers

Many of you plan trips with places you known before or that are written in bold letters on the interrail map. This option is very efficient but, also very likely to miss some really nice places. Today I want to introduce you one hidden gem close to my domicile:

The Rorschach Heiden Bahn

It is located in the north east of Switzerland and starts directly from lake constance.

view over lake constance
View down to Thal and Rheineck as seen from Wienacht-Tobel. From here you can also do a nice hike over the ridge “Steiniger Tisch” and along the river “alter Rhein” to Rheineck.
Along the mentioned hiking route you can also find this quite view place where benches are installed. Just a few minutes from the station “Wienacht-Tobel”.

View from “Steiniger Tisch”.

Once per week they use old rolling stock.
But the open carriages in summer are the highlight.

There is also a nice viewing place with grilling possibilities called “Fünfländerblick”. It is reachable by a 2.2km hike from the station “Schwendi bei Heiden”.

Please note, all stations are stop on request. So you need to press the button if you are in the train and want to leave at a certain station.

From the end station Heiden, there is another nice hiking route to Walzenhausen. It is called “Witzwanderweg” (jokes hiking route), but the jokes are only in German. (If you don’t want to hike you can also take a public bus (not included in Interrail)). Anyway, the route is nice and let reach you another hidden gem included in interrail:

The Rheineck Walzenhausen Bahn.

That one brings you to Rheineck, where you can take a river & lake cruise to Rorschach (50% discount with interrail!).

This beautiful ship line is operated from May until mid October.

But you can also just take the train back to Rorschach. Btw, if you stay in this region, try to choose an accomodation participating in the OSKAR guest card. This is a great offer that includes public transport, and also ships, and several mountain railways like Säntis, Hoher Kasten, etc, and some museums. It costs CHF 10 a day and can allow you to save interrail travel days.

So, I hope to see here many interrailers soon :D

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I reckon you've told us about this before, it looks like a real gem! I'll keep it in mind when I'll do a trip closer to home, around the Bodensee. Since you're from the area, is the line between Rorschach and Uznach (Voralpen Express) worth the trip? I did the Uznach - Luzern part in 2019. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I reckon you've told us about this before, it looks like a real gem! I'll keep it in mind when I'll do a trip closer to home, around the Bodensee. Since you're from the area, is the line between Rorschach and Uznach (Voralpen Express) worth the trip? I did the Uznach - Luzern part in 2019. 

Yes I did in the (old) facebook page. But without the hiking and roundtrip options. I took the Voralpen Express often, since I studied in Rapperswil. I really enjoyed the line, its for sure worth a trip!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Excellent! I'll make sure to include it in my next trip to Switzerland. :sunglasses: