Spain - Portugal route

• 5 July 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello

We are looking for a train from Madrid to Lisbon. We would be also thankful if someone can tell us other possibilities to get from Spain to Portugal. 

It should be around the 16th of september.

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Actual no direct train (The Man on seat Sixty one announced a new direct train in few weeks) 

Till then you have to go via Vigo or via another Route (can't get the name yet @Mattheas  Help please ) with several changes 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Yes, the route via Vigo means to stay overnight in Vigo or (if the evening Intercity Vigo - Porto resumes) in Porto.

There is one daytime connection per day, with a change of trains in Cáceres/Puertollano, Badajoz and Entroncamento. The first two trains require a reservation, which can be obtained at the train station in Madrid. (I don't think this connection ever becomes fully booked)

tip: if you need to travel to Madrid Atocha station, you can use your Interrail Pass on the Cercanías (suburban trains) as well. Just ask at the ticket office for a free ticket to pass the turnstiles.

Hi, 

I’ll be travelling between Madrid and Porto in a few weeks. After my initial plan to take the night train fell trough, I decided on two alternative routes. From Spain to Portugal, I’ll be taking the Madrid - Salamanca train and change on to the Flixbus to Porto there. On the return journey I will be departing from Porto to Vigo by train and change there on to the Vigo - Madrid train. It’s much slower but I hope more comfort. 
I’m arriving in Spain trough the port of Santander and leaving again by train via Barcelona and Girona, back home via France. 

Looking forward to it!