Solved

Switzerland Scenic Trains

• 14 January 2022
  • 6 replies

I am looking at purchasing the Eurail pass for Switzerland, but I cannot find any information on whether or not the pass will allow travel on the various scenic trains (Bernina Express, Glacier Express, Golden Pass).  I do see that it allows transit to and from Luzern - Interlaken - Montreux - Zermatt, but are these on the scenic trains, or regional trains.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 14 January 2022, 18:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can use the pass on all of these trains but for these scenic trains, you need a reservation on top of your pass. The routes of the scenic trains can also be done by normal trains that don't need a reservation.

In your opinion, are the normal trains the better option?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In your opinion, are the normal trains the better option?  

That depends what you're looking for. If you like luxury, don't like to change trains and possibly have a meal on the train (not sure if that's in all of them) and don't mind the extra costs, then a scenic train may be the right choice.

I haven't used any of the scenic trains but over the years did travel all their routes using normal trains, which run at least once an hour.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The specail scenic trains-IF they run, most are not year round, have slightly better seats and some cars have visa-domes+ with windows going up very high, for more looks at those fabulous mountains.

Maybe just try once and see if you think its worth the lot of extra money to also do that on others!

Thank you all for the information

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You may read this post of @runner.on.rails and me