Solved

Tirano to Zermatt along the bernia and glacier route in one day

• 13 December 2022
  • 6 replies

I am going from Tirano on the 20th of June 2023, plan to do Bernia express then join onto the glacier express to the Matterhorn in Zermatt.
on the eurorail app I find I can not make it from Tirano to St. Moritaz before the 9am train departs along the glacier route.

thus I changed around to Chur and then switching to glacier express but then it still wants to go through Zurich and around instead of going through Andermatt along the actual glacier route. 

please, how do I travel from Tirano to Zermatt on the same day, arriving by 7pm, via the actual bernia and glacier routes? thankyiu kindly for your assistance 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 13 December 2022, 08:20

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Daft simple trick-needs a tiny bit of logical thinking:

1.do NOT use app of Eurail-as has to be told to any newbee here. Anna B fra Sverige will certainly also follow up.

2.split up! You know the route you want, so divide up in those segments. I will not do the homework for you-(others may, but as I have a background in education: find out yourself is the fastest way to learn for later). IF it is possible the whole way in 1 day I dare not say-perhaps this is also variable with time of yr (plus that in winter its very short daylight=not that much to see!). SOme planners you can manipulate a bit -like put in VIA or make stops along the way.

As a more general note: this problem that people cannot think anymore and only rely on these planners is indeed getting more prevalent all the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It is too far in advance to get reliable schedules for June 2023, as you have seen some will be loaded but many won’t be.

The eurail app is also an unreliable source due to the way it runs off occasionally downloaded timetables.

Use the app/website of the main European operators, preferably the ones of the operators you are using.

In this case use the SBB website app.

If you want to get an idea of the possibilities try searching for connections on a day in January, it may not be exactly the same times as the dates you are planning to travel on but it will be similar. You can then plan the exact times closer to the travel date.

Daft simple trick-needs a tiny bit of logical thinking:

1.do NOT use app of Eurail-as has to be told to any newbee here. Anna B fra Sverige will certainly also follow up.

2.split up! You know the route you want, so divide up in those segments. I will not do the homework for you-(others may, but as I have a background in education: find out yourself is the fastest way to learn for later). IF it is possible the whole way in 1 day I dare not say-perhaps this is also variable with time of yr (plus that in winter its very short daylight=not that much to see!). SOme planners you can manipulate a bit -like put in VIA or make stops along the way.

As a more general note: this problem that people cannot think anymore and only rely on these planners is indeed getting more prevalent all the time.

If only we could all learn to think as well as you we could all be clever enough to insult strangers on the internet.

If you concentrated more on being helpful rather than belittling people you might have noticed the OP asked about June.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are several options to go from Tirano to Zermatt on the 20th of June. Use the SBB app or similar to plan. If you don't get the connection you want you need to enter one or more " via" stations.

No reservation is needed unless you travel in the panorama cars of the Bernina Express or with the Glacier Express to Zermatt. My recommendation is to avoid the Glacier Express and use the regional trains on the route. Bring a picnic and leave the train on a station with a nice view. Then you can have a nice lunch break and just take the next train.

Badge +5

It’s a very long day! If you’re able do this trip over two days you’ll enjoy it a lot more and as AnnB says use the local trains. Samedan is a good place to stop and other places on the Albula route to Chur. You will see there are tight connections with the local trains but it all works! If the weather is good there are sometimes open cars on the back of the Bernina trains but not on Bernina Express. A trip in these is a real experience but wrap up well it’s cold at the top of the pass!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The entire network of Rhätische Bahn is very beautiful! I agree with the previous posters, splitting it up and stay overnight somewhere in the canton Graubünden. Perhaps even a couple of days. There are many impressive hikes to do, forests to discover and (chilly) lakes to swim in. All well accesible by public transport. I had an excellent stay in Celerina a couple of years ago, also wel connected by multiple stations from easy walking distance from each other.

Don’t be suprised if you need to flag a train down at smaller stations, like you do with busses :)

Perhaps avoid St. Moritz, it’s a very posh place and even more expensive than already pricey Switzerland, but on the other hand it has excellent rail connections.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Larnie29 

Here both Bernina & Glacier Express Routes with regular trains on one day with arrival shortly after 7pm