Solved

Train from Paris to Belgium

• 14 December 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi there! Can you please help me... I purchased a Eurail for my Euro trip next week. I land in Paris and then need to get to Leuven, Belgium. However, I see that CDG is not part of the Eurail pass? If this is the case and I need to use my pass from the city centre, I see that I need to reserve a ticket (and pay) to get to Brussels. However, what happens if my flight is delayed and I miss the train that I have reserved?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 14 December 2022, 23:05

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi you can use TGV services CDG Airport to Brussel South (Midi/Zuid) (you need a reservation) and from there the first IC train you can catch to Leuven.

Also possible to use more frequent running Thalys trains from Paris Nord station (RER train CDG-Paris Nord not included in the pass) to Brussel South (midi/zuid). Thalys needs a reservation.

Also possible is to use TGV services to Lille and from Lille Flanders local trains to Belgium. 

Here a Tutorial I made where you can get the reservations for this services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I suppose that "CDG” is Aéroport Charles de Gaulle near Paris. I'm not sure why you would think you can’t use your pass from there. Many TGVs serve that station (also to Brussels) and the pass is valid in them. But you need to make a reservation. You can do that here:

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish

There are also suburban trains (RER) to Paris Nord and on those trains, the pass is not valid.

Thalys from Paris Nord to brussels can be booked here:

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish

The best is to leave enough time between your flight and the train. If you arrive earlier, you can maybe change the TGV reservation to an earlier train (if there are pass holder seats available). The other way around, it doesn't work so well because you can't change a TGV reservation anymore after the departure time.

Also take into account that pass holder seats on Thalys and international TGVs are limited. There are also reservation-free options, e.g. via Lille or via Maubeuge.

Finally, if Charles de Gaulle airport to Leuven is your only journey, then a pass will not pay off.