Solved

Train from Paris to Belgium and potential reservations

• 14 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi there! Can you please help me... I purchased a Eurail for my Euro trip next week. I land in Paris and then need to get to Leuven, Belgium. However, I see that CDG is not part of the Eurail pass? If this is the case and I need to use my pass from the city centre, I see that I need to reserve a ticket (and pay) to get to Brussels. However, what happens if my flight is delayed and I miss the train that I have reserved?Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 15 December 2022, 16:39

View original

7 replies

Badge +5

CDG TGV station is covered by Eurail but not the RER trains into Paris. Without dates and times we can’t easily help

Thanks! My flight lands in Paris at 9.30am on 21st Dec 2022 so will clear customs and still need to clear customs and all… 

I am needing to go through to Leuven, Belgium and so I am trying to fund a way that will be cheapest and use the pass. That is why I thought to go from CDG to Paris and then get on the pass. But is there a better way…? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Indeed, only RER is not included (but it's not that pricey anyway, see it as a big Metro) 

When do you land?

There are usually some direct TGV trains to Brussels, which you'll need to reserve (about 7 a day, still need to check if it changed much with the new schedule).

From Brussels there are plenty of trains to Leuven. But without details of when you would like to leave CDG, it's difficult to help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Oh, you already answered @eurotripper22 . Which pass do you have? 2nd or 1st class? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hmmm, not much places left on the TGV’s directly from CDG to Brussels. Only available before you land, or way after.

There are more options to Lille from CDG, luckily. Where you can continue to Brussels/Leuven by reservation free local trains (you’ll have to change in Kortrijk/Courtrai or Gent-Sint-Pieters. I suggest changing in Ghent, you’ll be able to get a direct train from Leuven from there). The 13:09 train looks a good option for you.

BE AWARE: There are two stations in Lille. Lille-Europe and Lille-Flandres. They’re just a 5 min walk away, but it can be confusing :). All local trains to Belgium (non tgv) leave from Lille-Flandres.

Or you can head to Paris Nord with RER (not included in pass), and try Thalys. But honestly, those are really expensive reservation and probably not available so short before travel. We generally advise to avoid Thalys, especially with late bookings. It’s also gonna be a bit cumbersome for you, getting from CDG to downtown Paris.

Book your tgv to Lille here: https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish you need a Pass cover number, which you can generate here: https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/generatePassCoverNumber .

Further tips: always use local train planners. That one of Interrail/Eurail is often wrong, as it’s only updated once a month. So check SNCF (for French trains) and NMBS/SNCB in Belgium for your Belgian trips. Also usable is the DB Navigator app, which has up to date travel information for most of Europe.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hmmm, not much places left on the TGV’s directly from CDG to Brussels. Only available before you land, or way after.

There are more options to Lille from CDG, luckily. Where you can continue to Brussels/Leuven by reservation free local trains (you’ll have to change in Kortrijk/Courtrai or Gent-Sint-Pieters. I suggest changing in Ghent, you’ll be able to get a direct train from Leuven from there). The 13:09 train looks a good option for you.

BE AWARE: There are two stations in Lille. Lille-Europe and Lille-Flandres. They’re just a 5 min walk away, but it can be confusing :). All local trains to Belgium (non tgv) leave from Lille-Flandres.

Or you can head to Paris Nord with RER (not included in pass), and try Thalys. But honestly, those are really expensive reservation and probably not available so short before travel. We generally advise to avoid Thalys, especially with late bookings. It’s also gonna be a bit cumbersome for you, getting from CDG to downtown Paris.

Book your tgv to Lille here: https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish you need a Pass cover number, which you can generate here: https://www.eurail.com/en/book-reservations#/generatePassCoverNumber .

Further tips: always use local train planners. That one of Interrail/Eurail is often wrong, as it’s only updated once a month. So check SNCF (for French trains) and NMBS/SNCB in Belgium for your Belgian trips. Also usable is the DB Navigator app, which has up to date travel information for most of Europe.

Well said and i follow this suggestion :) Book a TGV to Lille much cheaper and find your way with local trains then.