Solved

Train from Sundsvall (SE) to Trondheim (NO)

I want to take the train from Sundvall (Sweden) to Trondheim (Norway) via Storlien. I am planning on doing this in July.

If I check the Rail Planner app I don't see this specific option. But if I check the Vy website (transport in Norway) it does give this option. Just not in July because that is too far in the future. 

Does this track still exits and does the train ride in July? And is it possibele to take this train with the Global Pass?

Thank you!!

icon

Best answer by MartinM 16 January 2023, 15:46

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Should be still existing.

Probably the timetable for summer isn’t published yet.

In previous years there were construction works on the line (electrification) but maybe they are done with this now? (although it doesn’t look like that because then there should be a through service available without change).
Best to ask SJ or Vy customer service about summer timetable and if there are construction works planned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Useless to ask now-you will only be told: come back later. Yes-can use pass, and if there are works there will be some bus beside it that also accept the pass-it should be evident that in that case timings will be different. IN the old past railways had printed timetable boox for the whole year-or for summer/winter, but with these new style media and people over-anxious and in panick as soon as somethings change, plus the chance to claim money back, they will not want to commit themselves too long advance. Nor would you if you were in their shoes.

Okay, tank you!! 

Actually, there seems to be a glitch in the Railplanner App so that it treats Storlien as two completely separate stations and doesn't connect the journeys there. So what you need to do is perform two separate searches: from Sundsvall to Storlien (Sweden) and from Storlien (Norway) to Trondheim.

I tried the same from Östersund:

Also, the information that you need a reservation from Storlien to Trondheim is not correct, I called Entur and they said they couldn't even make a reservation for this train.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad 

This bug still hasn't been fixed: Storlien is present as 2 separate stations and the app doesn't find any through journeys, e.g. Trondheim - Östersund, with a change in Storlien.

While it is correct that Storlien is the border tariff point for Norway and Sweden (similar to e.g. Basel Bad Bf), it should be possible to find journeys via Storlien.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Camilo. @Mukhammad 

This bug still hasn't been fixed: Storlien is present as 2 separate stations and the app doesn't find any through journeys, e.g. Trondheim - Östersund, with a change in Storlien.

While it is correct that Storlien is the border tariff point for Norway and Sweden (similar to e.g. Basel Bad Bf), it should be possible to find journeys via Storlien.

Dear @rvdborgt 

I will ask the App team about this. For now, I would recommend adding the journey manually. 

Have a nice evening!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Camilo. @Mukhammad 

I will ask the App team about this. For now, I would recommend adding the journey manually. 

Thanks. Adding a manual journey is not needed because you can enter both trains separately.

It's just that the app doesn't know that Storlien (Norway) and Storlien (Sweden) are in fact the same station.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Camilo. @Mukhammad 

Thanks. Adding a manual journey is not needed because you can enter both trains separately.

It's just that the app doesn't know that Storlien (Norway) and Storlien (Sweden) are in fact the same station.

Hi everyone,

There's an update which has fixed the connection :)  As always, it will take a little while to be displayed in Rail Planner App, until next update released.

Have a nice weekend!

Hello, just a note that the attached image in the previous post includes an incorrect message (in Dutch) about seat reservations being mandatory on the Trondheim–Storlien train.

It’s been pointed out upthread already but just to reiterate: Seat reservations are not needed on this train. I took it during Easter and had no issues whatsoever (as in: the ticket inspector checked my pass and made no objections).

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello, just a note that the attached image in the previous post includes an incorrect message (in Dutch) about seat reservations being mandatory on the Trondheim–Storlien train.

It’s been pointed out upthread already but just to reiterate: Seat reservations are not needed on this train. I took it during Easter and had no issues whatsoever (as in: the ticket inspector checked my pass and made no objections).

Hello ​​​​​@dnavjord,

It is indeed no reservation required for the train. I've reported it since April and we're still waiting to be fixed by the relevant team.

Have a nice day!

Badge

Actually, there seems to be a glitch in the Railplanner App so that it treats Storlien as two completely separate stations and doesn't connect the journeys there. So what you need to do is perform two separate searches: from Sundsvall to Storlien (Sweden) and from Storlien (Norway) to Trondheim.

I tried the same from Östersund:

Also, the information that you need a reservation from Storlien to Trondheim is not correct, I called Entur and they said they couldn't even make a reservation for this train.

I wanted to do that in the opposite direction from Trondheim to Sundswall on June 6 roughly but I cannot find the leg between Storlien SW and Sundswall in the app. Can you help please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I wanted to do that in the opposite direction from Trondheim to Sundswall on June 6 roughly but I cannot find the leg between Storlien SW and Sundswall in the app. Can you help please?

The trains (or replacement buses) from Storlien into Sweden seem to missing on that date, also on vy.se and sj.se. Operator is Vy Norrtåg (https://www.vy.se/). You'd better ask them what options they have on your tarvel date.