Skip to main content

I have a 10 days global EU rail pass and i will be travelling from Paris on 27 Dec to Switzerland.  I would like to ride on Glacier Express and / or Bernina express.  I need to be in Rotterdam on 2 Jan late afternoom.  Can someone please give me advice on the route. I am also unsure of the best way to travel from Switzerland to Rotterdam as i have heard that the Nightjet may not be a good option. Please also share tips on how to avoid bookings with a fee.  

Many thanks 

You won’t avoid the TGV high-speed train reservation fee out of Paris honestly. However instead of paying 29€ for the Basel/Zurich TGV book as far as Mulhouse or Strasbourg (10-20€) and then cross the border on a reservation-free regional train. Sales will open on 2nd October. Book well in advance as the period between Christmas and New Year is very busy.

The Glacier Express has a 49 CHF reservation fee but you can travel on hourly regular trains along the same route (free). Same thing for the Bernina Express, for that one you can even board the normal carriages (without big windows) at the front for free.

About the Swiss itinerary: too many options… you could spend 2 nights in Chur and make a day trip on the Albula, Bernina and Vereina routes all the way to Tirano and back. Note that accommodation around 31th December will be expensive, book ASAP.

You’ll have to leave Switzerland quite early to make it to Rotterdam by late afternoon, you never know what happens in Germany haha (delays are frequent). I’d do Basel - Cologne - Utrecht - Rotterdam.

Otherwise I might recommend the Nightjet out of Zurich (longer night sleep) or Basel. There have been some issues with last-minute downgrades but they don’t happen every day... If you’re a family you can get an entire compartment for 200€ or so. ;)