Travel tips for mountain lovers

• 23 July 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi guys, second time interrailer here. Since I visited big cities during my first interrail experience, this time i want to stay more connected with nature and enjoy the various landscapes which Europe is full of. Anyone with suggestions for my travel plan, expecially regarding walks in the mountains in Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland or France (or any other country which is not too far from Italy)? Me and my friend will start the travel this september.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Saxxon Switzerland near Dresden 

Tatra Mountains in Slovakia / Poland  Poprad / Zakopane 

Zell am See (Austria) 

Imst (Austria) 

Bavarian Forrest (Zwiesel/Bayerisch Eisenstein) 

Black Forrest (Titisee- Neustadt) 

Salzburg /Berchtesgaden 

Appenzeller Land together with Lake Constance (Lindau/Bregenz/Rorschach) 

Just few examples and about Saxxon Switzerland i already made a article in this community together with @runner.on.rails 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hey Riccardo,

a bit more details would be good to give you better suggestions ;-)

Do you have experience in hiking?

Are you looking for day hikes or multi-day hikes with stay on a mountain hut?

Should the hike start from a train station or you are alright paying extra for a bus? (in Switzerland e.g. that can get pretty expensive if you don’t have a Half Fare Card)

Martin

There is a train from Toulouse (France) in to the mountains. You can change on the border to a little train to Barcelona (Spain) It’s an amazing route!

Hi ! I’m also planning my second interrail trip, mostly to mountain areas. I’m also looking for recommendations. Here are some suggestions:

Switzerland:

A very popular area is Grindelwald/Lauterbrunner/Interlaken. It’s beautiful but very touristy and expensive but you can visit most of the interesting places by train.

I would also recommend going Flumserberg, where I have been a few years ago. It’s less touristy, beautiful green mountains, hiking there is also quite beginner friendly :) There are several places where you can take the gondola. I know there’s a train running to Unterterzen. At the bottom of Flumserberg you’ll find the Walensee, which is a nice lake surrounded by mountains. You can swim there :)

Germany (if you want to go there):

There’s a lot to see but I would recommend going to Zugspitze (highest mountain of Germany). You can for eg. stay at Garmisch-Partenkirchen or Grainau and reach hike departures by train. Alpspitze is a nice starting point !

France :

A few mountain stations are accessible by train, but I haven’t been there yet: les Arcs, Alpe d’Huez, Super-Besse, La Clusaz, Avoriaz.

Austria :

Salzburg is very nice, you can probably take a bus or even train directly to the mountains. I need to check that !

Same for Innsbruck.

Slovenia :

Area of Triglav national park, Lake Bohinj and of course Lake Bled.

There’s a train to Bohinjska Bistrica, then busses to Lake Bohinj/Pokljuka/Sorica, or walking from the train station to lake Bohinj.

Skocjan caves should also be accessible by train + bus

There are good connections to Gorenjska and Dolenkska region.

Feel free to share your ideas! :raised_hands: