Skip to main content
Solved

Traveling north macedonia from to Croatia

• 25 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hi, I am traveling trough Europe and in a week I am going to north macedonia from Sofia by bus. This bus was not included in the interrail pass. Now I am looking to go from north macedonia to Croatia or somewhere near, but online i cant find anything about trein on IC busses that i can use with the interrail pass. Does anyone know what route is the best?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are no international trains in that area: either due to year-long engineering works or political tensions (often the latter).

There are also no railways along the coast.

Buses are running but they're not included/no discount. Tickets are cheap anyway.

You could get to Belgrade by bus and then take the daily night train to Bar (Montenegro). Reservations only possible at Belgrade train station so be a little flexible.

Scenery is stunning early in the morning.

Then Bar - Dubrovnik - Split by bus before you meet rails again.

Is there an easier wat to go to split from north Macedonia? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Avoiding the Belgrade - Bar train would be the easiest. From a quick look there's an overnight bus from Skopje to Zagreb, then take another bus or one of the rather infrequent trains.

Since the train ticket costs 15€ it doesn't make sense to use a travel day.

Oke thank you. Do you have the links to look at the timetable and to book the busses and trains. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nope. I had a quick look at Flixbus but there are dozen other companies which don't have websites.

Go to the bus station in Skopje and ask. Have cash in case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

rome2rio.com often has bus timetables in this part of the world, though not necessarily a definitive list.

Also try getbybus.com, busticket4.me

Sometimes asking at the bus station is the surest way to find out!