UNESCO World Heritage sites

• 7 February 2022
  • 4 replies

Europe is full of these heritage sites and I’d like to think Eurail would enable me to visit many of them.  Anyone done this or know of a preferred way?

mcadv 2 years ago

Endless possibilties.

Just find the list, then search and use google for access to those towns. Most EUR cities have their own site like www.(name city).country 2 letter extension. They will all have basic info on transportation or links to that system. If there are specific sites for a certain place it will almost always also include transport info.

EU-rail is not a system as such, nor a train company. It is a over 50 yrs old coöperative of all the main state-railways in EUR. Best info on what is available in each country is, no need to ask or tell, the site of that railway. Most countries in north-west EUR (UK excepted of course) have national transportplanners for all means that will also give details of local buses/trams etc. to the final leg to a specific place.

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Bit of an open-ended question, this…

But by-and-large, yes. Which particular UNESCO World Heritage Sites did you have in mind?

They are usually categorised as cultural or natural/ecological WHCs, and obviously more of the cultural ones are accessible by train as they are more likely to be located in centres of population.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

*WHSs, even

Thanks for the prompt response! I guess based on your reply and my wish to see as many sites as possible I’ll look to the cultural WHS.  From here I’ll look to see which Eurail stops provide easy access to the most sites.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Endless possibilties.

Just find the list, then search and use google for access to those towns. Most EUR cities have their own site like www.(name city).country 2 letter extension. They will all have basic info on transportation or links to that system. If there are specific sites for a certain place it will almost always also include transport info.

EU-rail is not a system as such, nor a train company. It is a over 50 yrs old coöperative of all the main state-railways in EUR. Best info on what is available in each country is, no need to ask or tell, the site of that railway. Most countries in north-west EUR (UK excepted of course) have national transportplanners for all means that will also give details of local buses/trams etc. to the final leg to a specific place.