Solved

Vienna to Hallstatt— track work resulting in bus substitution?

• 19 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Im planning on taking a train on August 10, 2023 from Vienna (Wien Westbahnhof station) to Hallstatt.

Usually it’s 3.5 hour, two change train from Vienna to Attnang-Puchheim station where you then change trains and go directly to Hallstatt. It looks like there is train work however in that second leg (between Attnang-Puchheim to Hallstatt) and the eurail app shows a route that goes around this resulting in a 7 hour ride. I checked out OBB website and actually it looks like this is happening:

(1) Vienna to Attnang-Puccheim, as normal 

(2) Alternate bus is provided from Attnang-Puccheim to Bad Ischl

(3) Take train at Bad Ischl to Hallstatt 

I cannot find this alternate bus route (2) in the eurail planner. Is this bus route covered by the pass? Again, this bus route is being provided it looks like due to train work.  

Many, many thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 July 2023, 23:11

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You didn’t mention a timetable but I did a test with departures from 8:00 and the journeys shown all contain replacement buses, which are covered by the pass.

The rail planner app and the Eurail website are often lagging behind and should not be used to plan. By the time you travel, chances are that the app has been updated and that you can find the options you need. If by that time trains or buses are still missing, you can add the missing ones manually.