Solved

Where to find coach for ferry Calais-Dover?

• 25 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi

I'm soon travelling with our teenagers from Switzerland to London.

We want to go by ferry. P&O has only three possibilities to go as foot passenger, it is risky to catch the last one.

I thought to take a coach for Calais - Dover? Where do I find some coach companies?

Has anyone a suggestion.

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 25 September 2023, 21:28

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Crossing the Channel as a foot passenger is indeed quite complicated now. There are 2 main options : Calais - Dover (the train station is far away) or Dieppe - Newhaven. Also possible further west from Caen or Cherbourg. See : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-paris-by-ferry.htm

There are Flixbuses across the Channel but you'd have to go all the way from Lille, Paris or Bruges to London, not really a fun experience in my opinion.

If you don't have to travel from France I'd really recommend the Hoek van Holland - Harwich ferry : daytime or overnight (30% Interrail pass discount). 30 min subway from Rotterdam and then 1h15 train to London. You have cabins for the overnight ferry crossing. More info here : https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/london-to-amsterdam-by-ferry.htm

I've done that journey 2 weeks ago after a month in the UK from Switzerland : one way Paris - London Eurostar and return by ferry to the Netherlands. Feel free to ask questions about it :)

Do you have to do the whole journey in a day ? You can get to Rotterdam easily by daytime trains and then either take the overnight ferry or stop for a night and travel the following day.

Thank you very much, this helps.

I'll have a look to your suggestions. My mother is travelling with us, and I can't take her into the Eurotunnel. She is afraid. Thus looking for ferries, but it is really complicated. Soon we will travel separately. 😆

That's funny, that you just took this trip! Hope you had a good time.

We plan Canterbury, Edinburgh, London, Brighton.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can tell her that the tunnel is really safe and way safer than a bus. It's not different than any other rail tunnel in Switzerland or elsewhere : only darkness for 20 min. :)

I'd say that the ferry from Rotterdam is a good choice but it's doable from France too. Feel free to come back, the pages I linked are exhaustive and good advice !

Yes my trip was fantastic. Once you've crossed the Channel British trains are easy to use and you don't need seat reservations -> they're recommended (but free) on mainlines like London - Edinburgh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You could also consider the Rotterdam to Hull overnight ferry. The station in Hull is a couple of miles from the ferry , there are connections, and then trains to York (for Edinburgh) or direct to London with Hull Trains. This is operated by P and O and allows foot passengers.