Which cities do you recommend in the east of europe?

• 2 July 2021
  • 2 replies

Hey, I want to make a two months trip to the east of europe and wanted to know which citys you all recommend. Furtermore, I wanted to ask, how long should I stay in each City? 

Thanks in advance!

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

With two months you really have a time to visit a lot of places. I would consider checking out Romania if you have the time. What I have found in my research for my trip this year, here are my two cents:

• Poland: Kraków (one of the most beautiful cities of Europe, and former capital of Poland, also convenient for visiting Oswiecim), Wroclaw, Gdansk (a city of the Hanseatic Trade), Zakopane (to visit the mountains)
  • Slovakia: Bratislava, Poprad (for the High Tatra mountains), Kosice
  • Hungary: Budapest (a not to miss city)
  • Romania: Bucharest (nicknamed “Little Paris”), Transylvania region (highlights include Sighisoara, Brasov, Cluj-Napoca, Sibiu; the region is known for birthplace of Dracula, and it has a lot of castles)

About the duration of your stays, it really depends: how big is the city, how much is there to see, perhaps you want to do daytrips (like Oswiecim or Tatra Mountains) consider staying longer.

Have fun planning!
Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Mattheas  mentioned almost all of my favourites :D for Czech Republic i would say České Budějovice, Karlovy Vary, Brno :) and Ceske Krumlov :)

I like the Bavarian forrest arround Bayerisch Eisenstein (from Munich with one change in Deggendorf and every 2hrs a direct train to Prague :) )

If you wanna go more south i recommend the Route Mostar - Sarajevo and Montenegro with the area on Lake Skadarsko Jezero  :)

Slovenia Lake Bohinj :) not so crowded as Lake Bled :)

or you add a small adventure and leave the Interrail validity room and visit Lviv,Kiev, Odesa in Ukraine :) From Vienna goes a direct Nighttrain to Lviv and Kiev with a special discount for railpass users :) Other ways to Ukraine are from Budapest or Slovakia via Chop and from there with not included Ukrainian trains or from Poland with trains to Ukraine. West Ukraine is save and i loved it 2 years ago to travel arround there.