Solved

1st Class ICE ticket with 2nd Class interrail pass

• 18 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi all,

It looks like every train from Frankfurt to Paris on the day I need to travel there is booked out in second class, however, they all have 1st class seats available for reasonable prices. My interrail ticket is, however, a 2nd class ticket.

Does this 2nd class specification only apply to train rides without a seat resevervation? Or does it mean I cant use it combined with a 1st class reservation at all?

Thanks all,

Erik

icon

Best answer by ralderton 18 October 2023, 20:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, you can't sit in first class.

You need a reservation to travel on that train, so if they're are no second class reservations, you'll have to find another route.

You can travel as far as the border without a reservation, sitting in a second class seat, or maybe the restaurant car if you can't find a seat.

No, you can't sit in first class.

You need a reservation to travel on that train, so if they're are no second class reservations, you'll have to find another route.

You can travel as far as the border without a reservation, sitting in a second class seat, or maybe the restaurant car if you can't find a seat.

Oh yikes :(

It really seems the case that EVERY train outbound to Paris on that day (29.10.23) is booked out. (Seriously, ive checked from Frankfurt, Strasbourg, Duesseldorf, Mannheim, Cologne, there doesn't seem to be anything) Quite strange… I’ve booked ICE trains to all kinds of places abroad even the day before the journey in the past and never encountered this.

The DB site says “Zug aktuell nicht reservierbar” (Train currently not reservable), do you know if this is consistent what it says when the train is full or if it sounds more like a system issue?

Not sure what to do…

Edit: All these trains also have 2nd class tickets still available, just no seat reservations. Is that normal?

In the Next DB Navigator app there were loads of seats were available, it looks like it was an issue with the DB websites.

Sorted :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes DB cannot sell mandatory reservations unless you buy a regular ticket, even for their own trains. This should change with Next DB Navigator, glad you got it sorted !

This route is very popular but yeah it would be surprising that all trains are sold out 10 days in advance, usually the super early ones have a few remaining seats even last-minute.

For next time : it is also possible to cross the border using regional trains, Wörth am Rhein - Lauterbourg - Strasbourg or Offenburg - Strasbourg are the main ones. From Strasbourg there are loads of TGVs to Paris -> 10€ limited fare, then 20€.

Enjoy your trip !