Solved

1st or 2nd class for Switzerland?

• 3 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hey everyone!

I am looking at book an interrail pass for Switzerland travel, but I’m not really sure if its worth buying first class or not. There is quite a difference in price so I’m wondering if this is significant?

From what I can see, the majority of posts are regarding space allowance but if its just for travel in Switzerland does this really matter?

I am travelling with my boyfriend so I guess I wont be able to sit with him either?

Is there any benefit price wise with reservation fees when you book first class?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 3 May 2023, 09:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Switzerland reservations are a waste of money. No one makes them except if you want to use the touristic scenic trains with mandatory reservation.

However, on the routes where the scenic trains run, there are also reservation free regional trains which are much better to use.

Will you only be travelling in Switzerland? 

You are so helpful, thank you for all of your answers! 😍

Yes, only in Switzerland! And only really to and from Interlaken and Lausanne (with a stop in Grindelwald) to do a few hikes

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Interrail pass includes boat rides on Lake Thun and Brienz. A fantastic experience ! On the other hand it doesn't include travel from Interlaken to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. You get a 25% discount.

Other options :

- Swiss Travel Pass (very expensive) : it covers all public transportation and also gives discounts for mountain peaks (25-50%). Interrail often gives the same discount. There currently is a sale : https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/?affiliateId=249#/en/product/swissPass

- a combination of Saver Day Passes (from 52 CHF) and regular tickets

- half-fare card (120 CHF) and then half-fare tickets and day passes. Especially worth it if you're going to Jungfraujoch. From Interlaken : 107 CHF (half-fare), 140 CHF (STP), 160 CHF (Interrail), 215 CHF (full-fare)