Solved

2nd time "outbound"

Badge +1

In between I came back to Holland (by plane). How does it work when I continue my trip: I check in with my regular ‘train checkin card (ov chip card))  to the border, but how do I find the exact border station and then I probably have to go off the train to check out (in Holland)? Or better to buy a ticket so I don’t have to check out...

Biggest change is I go to England. Which station is the border station...

Any advice / your experience is welcome. Thank you,

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 June 2022, 23:09

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

For international journeys from/to the Netherlands, you don't check in or out with your chipcard. For the Dutch part of the journey, you use:

1. Interrail, if you are using one of the inbound/outbound journeys.
  2. A normal ticket (with 40% discount if you have an off-peak subscription) to the border (choose 100% discount for Belgium or Germany when buying via NSI).
  3. Without any additional ticket if you have 100% discount in the Netherlands.

To pass any gates, use your Interrail or press the i button to have the gate opened remotely. Do NOT check in or out because that can cost money. Also see this page.

The border tariff points are mentioned in the rail planner app if you look in the train details. If you don't have any inbound/outbound journeys left, then you need to add a manual journey from that border tariff point, i.e. Hazeldonk(gr) (choose Belgium as country) if you use the Intercity to Brussels.

However, if you're using an iPhone, DO NOT enter manual journeys since there's still a bug in that app  (in any case in version 23.2.0) that makes all journeys disappear for that travel day. Instead, use the first station of your train after the border.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Als je met de DIRECT €* naar LON reist, dan is dat overbodig, aangezien je dan een normaal ticket vanaf NL zal moeten kopen. Die doen niet aan ´vanaf grens´. THalys dito.

Als je met de BeNeLux tot BRU gaat en dan €*, dan gledt zoals rian al uitlegt ¨Hazeldonk grens´.

Badge +1

thanks @mcadv , clear.

@rvdborgt Thanks, I don’t understand a part of what you said, but I’m looking at a ferry to England right now.

Does one of you know if I can get an interrail-discount on the ferry, even while I travel from Holland (which is home country) and if so, at which company?

If I decide to go by train after all, I might come back here 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks, I don’t understand a part of what you said, but I’m looking at a ferry to England right now.
Does one of you know if I can get an interrail-discount on the ferry, even while I travel from Holland (which is home country) and if so, at which company?

Which ferry? There are at least 3.

Stena (Hoek van Holland - Harwich) has a 30% discount on the base fare (not on accommodation):

https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/stena-line/

You don't need to use a travel day because you only get a discount.