Solved

6 Day Poland only Eurail Pass. Reservations seating together

• 10 March 2023
  • 4 replies

I purchased two 1st class, 6 day Poland only eurail Passes for my sister and I for travel in August.  I have the Rail Planner app loaded on my phone and both passes loaded but not activated.  

My sister is technocologically challenged.  We live in different states and because of that it is easier for me to purchase the seat reservations so that we are traveling on the same trains.  Can she also load the app on her phone before we travel so that she can show her own phone with her daily pass? (she is going to visit me soon so I thought I could load it on her phone at that time)   I wasn’t sure if it was allowed because it is already loaded on my phone.

A couple of other questions-

1. When looking at the https://www.intercity.pl/en/ website to purchase seat reservations it is only allowing me to select one ticket at a time. I select two passengers but as soon as I select Eurail/Interail in the discount drop down it switches to one passenger.  Does this mean they need to be booked separately? or is there a trick to booking two at a time?
  2. I’ve tried to read everything about using the passes and I just want to verify that I have the process down correctly.  I can use the Pass ID numbers for each pass to purchase seat reservations for each train 30 days prior to travel.  I activate our passes before our first day of use.  The day it is activated is considered the first day of use? (I’m not clear on this?)    We have the thirty day pass with 6 days of travel but will only actually be in Poland for about 20 days.  I create a journey(s) each day of our travel and that populates a ticket (QR code) that we would show the conductor along with our seat reservation.  Most days we are traveling on one train only except for the last day where we will be traveling from Boleslawiec to Warsaw which involves several different reservations.  We will not be traveling overnight at all. 

Thank you so much for any help or suggestions you may be able to offer.  

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 10 March 2023, 04:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

She can have her own pass on her own phone.

1. Bad implementation indeed. There's a function to book a seat close to an already booked seat. Check that checkbox and enter coach and seat number of the first seat:
  2. Activating your pass should not anymore activate a travel day (it used to be that way previously). But it's anyway best not to activate your pass in advance.

Thank you so much for your response.  I know there is a cost savings involved with buying the pass, but in hindsight,  I probably would have purchased the tickets instead of dealing with the multi-step process. I downloaded the PKP intercity mobile app and tried doing a mock booking for seat reservations and couldn’t make it work because it doesn’t list the Eurail pass anywhere for a discount like I can see it on my computer.  I searched all of the instructions and then read that there is no way to reserve seats and pay for them using the mobile app for https://www.intercity.pl/en/ when using a Eurail Pass.   I can view tickets that I previously purchased on my computer OR I can print them out and take them with me. I always travel with my laptop, but it will take any spontaneity out of the equation because I won’t always have wifi when I may need it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you so much for your response.  I know there is a cost savings involved with buying the pass, but in hindsight,  I probably would have purchased the tickets instead of dealing with the multi-step process. I downloaded the PKP intercity mobile app and tried doing a mock booking for seat reservations and couldn’t make it work because it doesn’t list the Eurail pass anywhere for a discount like I can see it on my computer.  I searched all of the instructions and then read that there is no way to reserve seats and pay for them using the mobile app for https://www.intercity.pl/en/ when using a Eurail Pass.   I can view tickets that I previously purchased on my computer OR I can print them out and take them with me. I always travel with my laptop, but it will take any spontaneity out of the equation because I won’t always have wifi when I may need it. 

If it is easy to do simply print out the reservation and take it with you.

RE you only being in Poland for 20 days that does not matter, you simply have up to 31 days (or 30/28) to use your 6 travel days. It can be any 6 days in that time period.

I don’t think you will need to remove your sister’s pass from your phone to add hers but you can only have the pass activated on one phone when you travel. 

Also for info the rail planner allows you to use it when travelling without an internet connection - in fact it is better on trains to operate in airplane mode (unless of course you are browsing etc) as it seems to load the pass a lot quicker. The App does though require an internet connection at least once every 72 hours and when doing some other actions. 

The App holds all the train times etc in memory rather than accessing a live database so be prepared to add some trains to your trip manually if they do not show in the planner.

If it is easy to do simply print out the reservation and take it with you.

RE you only being in Poland for 20 days that does not matter, you simply have up to 31 days (or 30/28) to use your 6 travel days. It can be any 6 days in that time period.

I don’t think you will need to remove your sister’s pass from your phone to add hers but you can only have the pass activated on one phone when you travel. 

Also for info the rail planner allows you to use it when travelling without an internet connection - in fact it is better on trains to operate in airplane mode (unless of course you are browsing etc) as it seems to load the pass a lot quicker. The App does though require an internet connection at least once every 72 hours and when doing some other actions. 

The App holds all the train times etc in memory rather than accessing a live database so be prepared to add some trains to your trip manually if they do not show in the planner.

Thank you.  That was my intent to print them.  Our plans will be pretty set so I don’t think we will have any changes while traveling.   One of the questions I still have

Can I make the seat reservations if the pass is not activated, using the pass number? 

Thank you