A couple of small but welcome benefits to booking reservations with ČD

• 2 November 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +4
  • Railly clever
  • 164 replies

Another appendix to the reservations thread, detailing why cd.cz has become my favourite place to buy seat reservations for central Europe;

This really helped me out today when I realised that track works meant the 9-minute change at Ostrava that I had booked wasn’t going to be feasible; unlike at either bahn.com or oebb.at, many (or perhaps even all) reservation-only bookings at ČD are fully refundable.

As well as domestic trains, you can also book most trains in all of Czechia’s neighbouring countries, generally priced at 75Kč each. This is only €0.07 more than at oebb.at, and is usually* quite a bit cheaper than at bahn.com.

Now of course, €3.07 on a train cancellation won’t be the biggest saving you’ve ever made, but it also frees up the seat for someone else to buy; so it’s considerate and ecological too.

Another thing I really like about booking through ČD is that it’s possible to select specific seats even for foreign trains, by typing in the carriage and seat numbers. Although you won’t be shown the seating map or availability, you can usually find it by running the same search on the website of the relevant train operator. I am not aware of any other site that allows you to request specific seats on foreign trains in this way, only vague preferences.

And finally, if you have the ČD app installed and then proceed to log in and buy through the computer, the reservations will instantly appear on your phone, announced by a joyous and exceedingly cheesy steam train sound effect 😃 What more incentive is needed?

*(unless your journey involves more than one train within Germany on which reservations are possible)

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I use them quite often too. 

Another good option is to see in which carriage the most unreserved seats are. so you can had directly to that carriage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would also add, that it is possible to pay the interrail/eurail fee for the DB-ÖBB Eurocity Munich-Italy via CD. The reservation is for free on top. 

Same for the Railjets to Venice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I would also add, that it is possible to pay the interrail/eurail fee for the DB-ÖBB Eurocity Munich-Italy via CD. The reservation is for free on top. 

That’s a masterstroke! 😮

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Really good didnt notice it. 

Thank you very much. (If i have time i will made a manual for these trains via CD.Cz unless you wanna make one in tthe post? ) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For the Railjets via Tarvisio to Venice, there is a bug and CD asks only 88 CZK (about 3,60€) instead of 10€. ÖBB is informed (unfortunately) and they are solving this bug with CD. 

The 3,60€ fee is accepted as “Pass Zuschlag” on board of the train. 

More about this in the German Speaking Rail Forum: https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?030,10166814,page=1 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Really good didnt notice it. 

Thank you very much. (If i have time i will made a manual for these trains via CD.Cz unless you wanna make one in tthe post? ) 

@seewulf I would love to do it, but I have unfortunately not time in this period. But if I get time I will write you a DM, to not do the same thing :)