Solved

Access to the platforms in Italy, Milan - Rome - Naples

• 18 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I understand that in the stations of Milan Centrale, Roma Termini, (Napoli Centrale) there are gates to access the platform.

You should be able to pass this entrance by scanning the barcode of your pass.
Does anyone have experience with passing these gates by scanning his/her barcode with a mobile Interrail pass?

In Roma Termini we take the 06u25 train, where we have never been before. So I don't know if there will be staff at the gates so early, to help us if necessary?
Can anyone confirm this?

I'm assuming it won't be a problem if you have the interrail passes on 1 phone, to get through the gates ?
The holder of the mobile phone with the passes first lets people through without the pass on their phone, and is the last to go through the gates?

Additional information :
When purchasing the mandatory seat reservations via NMBS, for 2 travelers, I also received a PDF document that was printed with the name of both travelers on it. There is a barcode on the document.
I suspect that we will only be able to use this document if there are staff at the gates, that it will not be possible to pass the automatic gates with this document?

icon

Best answer by Angelo 18 June 2022, 17:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes there are gates but till yet i always used a staffed gate as it´s much easier and faster :)
Another option to go through the gates are the reservations :)
Atleast one gate is staffed during the openingtimes of the station.

My experience from last year the gates were all closed and you had to pass gates that had Temperature sensors or Secruity with a standard infrared thermometer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In Milano Centrale last year my mobile QR code worked on the gates.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Yes there are gates but till yet i always used a staffed gate as it´s much easier and faster :)
Another option to go through the gates are the reservations :)
Atleast one gate is staffed during the openingtimes of the station.

My experience from last year the gates were all closed and you had to pass gates that had Temperature sensors or Secruity with a standard infrared thermometer.

@seewulf 

I've also thought about being able to get past the automatic gates with the reservation.
But the question is, can you scan a printed PDF document with the reservation twice at the automated gates? Because I have 1 sheet, where both travelers are listed.

I would be much more at ease knowing that there will be a member of staff at the gates in case there is a problem at this early hour, which is 6am.
Have already sent a message to FSItalia and the tourist office, regarding the opening hours. Because I can't find any clear information about this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Sven You can use your Interrail Pass to pass the gates. Like @rvdborgt says he tried it out last year. Also this gates are only to prevent that people without tickets gets into the platform area, they are not controlling if the ticket is good for this day, but only that you have a ticket. This gates are by the rail infrastructure company in Italy and not by Trenitalia or others. So they have to scan all sorts of Tickets of all companies on tracks. 

And there is always staff when trains are starting, there is a security only for this in the big stations. Because when there is a security warning, they have to open all gates, so people can leave the station. 

For your question, you could try to scan on one gate one Ticket and on the other (with an photo) on the other gate. Or scan your Interrail Pass. 

P.S. This Temperature sensors thing is not more a thing at Italian stations. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Okay, if there's an employee there anyway when trains leave, then I'm a little reassured.

In the first instance I will try to open the gates with the barcode of my mobile Interrail pass.
If that doesn't work, I show my PDF document that I have on paper to an employee at the gates.