Skip to main content
Solved

Advice when to reserve a train when you want to travel flexible

• 26 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi!

I will start my Interrail trip in two weeks. I have some cities I want to visit, but I don't want to plan everything in advance, as I want to be flexible if I like a city or when I meet some nice people. Some of the trains I want to take have a required reservation:

• Munchen to Milan
  • Milan to Florence/Firenze
  • Florence/Firenze to Ancona
  • Ancona to Bologna

I'm curious if it's fine if I book those trains the day before I will head to that city or that it is really needed to book them right now otherwise they will sell out way before the travel day?

Thanks in advance! :)

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be fine on these routes.

Munich - Milan: plenty of reservation-free options. Note that the Munich-Zurich EC doesn't run until early July due to floods.

Either you look whether the direct train to Zurich has seats left for 3€ or you go around via Stuttgart (reservation optional ICE + IC). Then take any train to Lugano and the hourly RE to Milan.

Obviously if you can afford the extra time I'd suggest the stunning Albula and Bernina lines (Chur - Tirano).

Milan - Florence: the Frecciarossa runs hourly. You should always find something but not necessarily on the first train you wish. There are alternatives (mostly by changing in Bologna).

Florence - Ancona: the fastest options via Bologna require one or two reservations. There are reservation-free regional options, for example via Faenza.

Ancona - Bologna: hourly reservation-free regional trains if the fast trains are sold out.