All trains fully booked - never again

• 10 July 2022
  • 4 replies

I bought a month long global pass for myself travelling in july. i got to paris on wednesday night, stayed in the station all night as it was late. thursday morning I went to book a train anywhere, they were all fully-booked for the week, as i found out only a few seats were available on each train. i went to 2 other stations, same thing there, all fully booked. decided to give up and come home friday the 8th. the next available seat on the eurostar was the 16th of july. what the actual fuck??? i ended up paying 255 euros for a ticket. never again will i travel on interrail, wasted 900 euros in total on it.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is sad that you didn't make your reservations  in advance. 

There is a limited number of pass holder seats on the Eurostar and on popular departures and during high season those sell out weeks, and sometimes months in advance.

The information from Interrail is that you need to make mandatory reservations well ahead of travelling. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

For next time, avoid traveling in France and Spain. Like in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and others reservations are only optional. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

French domestic trains have pass holder seats available until the train is full. But this summer many trains are really full if you turn up on the day. There are always regional trains of course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry but you should have done a bit of planning ahead. It is well-known that Eurostar is often fully-booked in summer as there are only limited passholder seats…. And also in France TGV are often fully-booked as tourism restarted.