Solved

Amsterdam to Brussels by IC

• 26 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Full steam ahead
  • 30 replies

We planned to travel from Amsterdam to Brussels by IC on Sunday 03/09/23 with a brief stopover at Anrtwerp.

1. We can stop at Brussel Central Station. Is that right?

1. We can stop at any station along the journey as long as the journey is completed within a day?
  2. Eurail Rail Planner shows ‘supplement needed’ but Seat 61 mentioned that that is not the case. I understand that no other fees(reservation, supplementary or any others) for the journey. Just get on the train and go. Is that right?      

So I just add the journey on Rail Planner and ignore everything else. Is that right?

Is there any station on the way for a stopover at Atomium?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 26 July 2023, 23:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We planned to travel from Amsterdam to Brussels by IC on Sunday 03/09/23 with a brief stopover at Anrtwerp.

1. We can stop at Brussel Central Station. Is that right?

Correct.

1. We can stop at any station along the journey as long as the journey is completed within a day?

Corect.

1. Eurail Rail Planner shows ‘supplement needed’ but Seat 61 mentioned that that is not the case. I understand that no other fees(reservation, supplementary or any others) for the journey. Just get on the train and go. Is that right?      

So I just add the journey on Rail Planner and ignore everything else. Is that right?

Indeed. You also need to update your app because one of the recent updates removed the supplement remark (again).

Is there any station on the way for a stopover at Atomium?

Metro/tram stop Heizel. Metro from Zuid/Midi or tram from Noord/Nord.

Badge

Hi Rvdborgt,

Again thank you.

May I ask your advice regarding train from Paris to Palace of Versailles. We plan to take train from Invalides Subway Station to Versailles-Rive-Gauche Station. Rome2Rio website shows the train stops at Versailles Chantiers and not at Versailles-Rive-Gauche station with one change at Gare Montparnasse. The RATP website is a bit confusing but seems to show the train stops at Versailles-Rive-Gauche station and no change or transfer. The rail map shows Invalides subway station is an RER C station.

Online comments advised there are three stations near the Palace but to go to Versailles-Rive-Gauche.

The question is can I get RER train directly from Invalides subway station to Versailles-Rive-Gauche station without any change or transfer that is direct train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Tip: The best app for in city navigation is Citymapper. Gives you real time information and the best routes by all forms of transport available. Every big city in Europe should be covered, both Brussels and Paris :)

For the Atomium, if you fancy a longer walk (in rather nice neighbourhoods in Brussels) you can get off the train in the train stations Jette or Bockstael. Plenty of pleasant parks under the way, if you detour a bit. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The question is can I get RER train directly from Invalides subway station to Versailles-Rive-Gauche station without any change or transfer that is direct train?

It looks like there should be direct trains from the Invalides RER station, but RATP doesn't let me plan in September yet and there seem to be engineering works currently. Don't use Rome2rio for detailed planning.

Please note that RER and metro are different. At Invalides, both have a station close to each other.

Badge

Thank you Rvdborgt. Like you,I think there are RERs from Invalides subway station does stop at Versailles-Rive-Gauche station and not Versailles Chantiers. I get the impression the Rome2Rio is not reliable. From what I can see, there is few extra minutes walk from Versailles Chantiers station to Palace of Versailles compared to Versailles-Rive-Gauche station.

Hi BrendanDB thank you for your advice and suggestions. I will certainly look at Jette or Bockstael. I have Citymapper but yet to learn how to use it.

Have a nice day to you both.