Solved

Are reservations needed for trips from Oslo

• 25 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, all:

We are 4 people likely to be taking day trips from Oslo to Hamar and Oslo to Larvik/Skien.  We know we need to make reservations for the famous Oslo-Myrdal (Flam) trip, but what about these “less popular” and shorter trips?  Do we need reservations?  Note:  We will be there in September and have global Eurail passes.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 25 June 2023, 16:01

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Per https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm#Norway and vy.no, seat reservations are not needed on regional trains, so nothing needed to Hamar or Larvik/Skien. They’re available but not mandatory (I wouldn’t make them, esp. in September).

For Oslo - Myrdal book using the chat function on entur.no : no booking fee and directly sent by email. Free with a 1st class pass.

Thanks for the prompt response.  Per the European Rail Timetable, the trains to Larvik/Skien do not appear to require reservations, and there are frequent trains so I’m guessing that they don’t sell out, but if there’s a good chance that they do I’d just as soon make the reservations. 

Thanks, just saw your revised response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yup I've updated my post. DB, the planner I use regularly, wasn't exactly right for once.

Enjoy your trip !