At-station reservations: has anyone ever had issues?

I’m hoping to travel from Faro to Lisbon, and the eurail app says a reservation is required, but I have to make that reservation in person at the train station. To me, this seems risky, because what if the train is full by the time I get to the station? This is the only train I can take, so I can’t risk it being full.

Has anyone ever had issues with a train they were hoping to reserve being full by the time they got to the station? Is there any way to avoid this risk? I have a mobile pass, by the way, if that changes anything. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

All these fears are grossly overrated. Yes, I´ve done it more as 100 times in the past-but in PT if at all quite long ago. The pass is meant to be flexible-this seems with nowadays youngsters a thing they have never ever learnt-there will be more as 1 train that day.

All these fears are grossly overrated. Yes, I´ve done it more as 100 times in the past-but in PT if at all quite long ago. The pass is meant to be flexible-this seems with nowadays youngsters a thing they have never ever learnt-there will be more as 1 train that day.

I know, usually I am fine with flexibility, but for this particular train, there is only one that runs to Lisbon in time for my flight out of Lisbon, so I have to take that exact train. That is why I’m worried that I could miss it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I know, usually I am fine with flexibility, but for this particular train, there is only one that runs to Lisbon in time for my flight out of Lisbon, so I have to take that exact train. That is why I’m worried that I could miss it. 

It might be a good idea to take an earlier train if you are catching a flight so that you have some extra time if something doesn't work out as you planed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can make the reservation at many stations in Portugal. You don't have to wait until you get to Faro.