Solved

Austrian OBB Ticket Not Available Villach Hbf to Venizia Saint Lucia

• 9 April 2022
  • 2 replies

May I have your help with a problem? I am unable to purchase seat reservations on https://www.oebb.at/en/ because the Eurail Pass is not listed among the accepted options, and for other reasons, described below.

July 6 10:50 AM
Railjet #131

2nd Class
Villach Hbf to Venizia Saint Lucia

In his article 'Community > Get ready to travel > Train connections & reservations > How to get Reservations :)', seewulf describes how to book a seat reservation for a night train on that site. But a night train is not what I want, and I'm unable to reproduce the result that he shows - "Ad the end of the list of discountcards you should find Interrail/Eurail. Just click on it and after that "Confirm" under the list and finally Confirm at the top right corner". I'm unable to reach the point where I can select a Seat Reservation.

For all trains between those points, the site states 'Ticket Not Available'. For some scheduled trains, there's a link that states "Due to construction work in Italy, this train cannot operate between Villach and Venezia Saint Lucia. We are providing rail replacement services for you. Your travel time increases by up to 30 minutes."

I'm okay with the 30 minute delay. But how can I purchase a reservation?  My party of 6 will include my grandchildren.  I’m determined to find a way to get this done before our departure from the U.S.; I don’t want to be stuck “figuring it out” in Villach on July 6.

icon

Best answer by seewulf 9 April 2022, 08:30

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@Dan Shipley 

First of all the train doesn´t need a reservation you have to pay usually a supplement fee of 10€ per person in second class or 15€ in 1st class. (You can pay this supplement fee online, at the ticket office in the station or what i always do and still suggest onboard the trains as not all ticket inspectors charge this fee as they see it as a Rip-Off :D )

The Eurail System think that this supplement fee is a reservation but it´s not.

Right above the manual for Nighttrains there is the short 2 picture manual for Austrian Daytrains (for daytrains you doesn´t need to say you have Eurail/Interrail and just select the Seat Only option)

Hi Dan, not sure if you got it correctly what “rail replacement services” means. There will be no trains between Villach and Venice (in fact there will be no trains for the whole month of july). There will be a bus service from the main bus station (directly in front of the Villach main station building / across the street) with different busses going different routes to Venice (more or less direct) - at least this is how it was done last time.

Next: There will be no reserved seats. You don’t need a seat reservation and in fact it’s not even possible to get one. What you wiill need is a so called “Tarvisioverkehr Pass 1” - in fact a supplement which will cost you 10 € per person. You may buy it online, but there’s no need to do so - it’s even possible at the counter or in the train (but I don’t think they will sell it in the replacement busses in july). 

If you’d like to have reserved seats for your group, your best bet is to avoid the replacement service. There is a regular bus service provided by austrian railways four hours earlier and another one two hours later. There it is possible to reserve seats (the supplement is needed here, too). But apart of this it’s the same bus route anyway. 

Hope that helps, best wishes, Hektor.