Solved

Availability of reservations from PanoramaExpress - Glacier Express

• 10 February 2023
  • 9 replies

Good day,  With Eurail passes in hand I’m attempting to obtain reservations for the 10:18 PanoramaExpress (PE 902) from BRIG HAHNOFPLATZ to ST. MORITZ on July 14, 2023.  The Eurail Travel Planner online reads “Seat reservations unavailable”.  On the cell phone app it appears that the schedules are not available this far out.  “Sorry, we can’t find any trains that match your search.” Three possibilities:

• I’m too early to make this request.
  • I’m too late and the reservations are already fully booked.
  • I need to seek these reservations through another agency.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks….Danke!

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 10 February 2023, 21:30

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

That's the Glacier Express if I'm not mistaken. Too early. According to the website you can only book max 93 days in advance.

Btw, the entire route can be done reservation free too, by just taking the hourly regional trains. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You best make the reservation for the Glacier Express directly with Rätische Bahn who run the train. 

I think you are too early to make the reservation.

https://www.rhb.ch/en/panoramic-trains/glacier-express

The reservation cost is high for the GE and it is possible to travel the same route with local, reservation free, trains.

Good day, BrendanDB and AnnaB for your sage advice.  Following your suggestions, I see that you are both correct and I now know that one alternative for my transit from Chamonix to St. Moritz is on the Glacier Express.

AnnaB’s recommended website is Rhaetian Railway and its link “Book the Glacier Express” forwards one to the Glacier Express site.  Glacier Express - BVZ Holding

There I confirmed the timeline of 93 days in advance for a booking.  

The alternative rail route that does not require reservations, leaves at the same time from Chamonix, and arrives an hour and a half earlier than the Glacier Express option.  The only downside is that there are five changes required.   Perhaps the road less traveled may be the answer.  

Thank you both. Safe travels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are 3 changes from Brig to St Moritz with the regional train. You must add Andermatt or any other station on the route as "via", otherwise the route will be via Zürich and Chur.

An advantage if you choose the regional train is that you can leave the train on a station with nice scenery and just catch the next train an hour or so later instead of sitting in the same train for the whole day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

And if there's one country where you don't have to be scared of connections, it's Switzerland. Transfers are usually impeccable, especially on Rhätische Bahn. 

AnnaB may I ask of the name of the app you use?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

she is using the SBB Mobile app of Swiss Railways

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

AnnaB may I ask of the name of the app you use?

That is the SBB Mobile app.

It is always a good idea to use the app/website of the local operators as these will often have the most up to date running information and additional details such as platform numbers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It is the app from SBB (Swiss Railway).