Solved

AVE counter officer at Barcelona Sants request to see the app running on phone to be able to make a seat reservation, declaring this is consigned on the terms and conditions policy? is it true?

I'm having two problems with my Eurail pass:

I’m not able to do a seat reservation in one of my journeys specific the one between Barcelona Sants - Madrid Puerta de Atocha on the 13th June 2022. I have contacted Eurail customer service about this, they explained that seat reservation between Barcelona Sants and Madrid Puerta de Atocha, have to be purchase on person at the station counter. However as seat reservations are recommended to be purchase at least two weeks prior to travel date, as not many spots are available for holders of Eurail pass, I don't have the chance to buy it until the day of my arrival and departure (13 June), when I need to continue my trip coming from Paris same day.

I asked a relative living in Paris to come to a TGV station to purchase a reservation seat on my name, for Paris - Barcelona journey. The TGV officer was very helpful and seat reservation purchase was success.

However, I asked another relative in Barcelona to do the same at AVE office at Barcelona Sants, but they denied to sell the seat reservation. The officer declared that to be able to sell a seat reservation, they need to see the Eurail app running on my phone and proof of my mobile pass, which according with the officer is specified on the policy and terms of Eurail pass. I provided email confirmation, screenshot of QR code and all the information needed to confirm my purchase of Eurail pass, but obviously the only thing I can't do is show the app running on the phone.

So that means I need to purchase a seat reservation when arrives at Barcelona, what need to be done in 1 hour and half before the departure of the AVE train to my destination. There is a high risk that not anymore seats are available by the time I get in Barcelona, and not able to travel anymore. Could you please specified in which part of terms and conditions policy of Eurail, says that you need to show the app running on your phone and trip, to be able to reserve a seat with those companies?? I have read it pretty much twice and can't find any info about that limitation, so I can’t understand why the officer is denying to sell the reservation.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 June 2022, 09:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is nothing like this in th Eurail conditions. It must be something that RENFE have made up themselves. There have been more reports that RENFE staff now want to see this.

You can however make a pre-reservation by phone (scroll down to Spain):

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations

You have to collect the reservation within 72 hours after pre-ordering it but that's still a lot better than waiting until you arrive in Barcelona.

There is nothing like this in th Eurail conditions. It must be something that RENFE have made up themselves. There have been more reports that RENFE staff now want to see this.

You can however make a pre-reservation by phone (scroll down to Spain):

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/reservations/how-do-i-book-my-reservations

You have to collect the reservation within 72 hours after pre-ordering it but that's still a lot better than waiting until you arrive in Barcelona.

Thanks for reply. I believe the same, they just making difficult everything for customers. Do you know where I can find the Term and Conditions Policy so my relative can handled it printed and try to purchase it again? thanks heaps

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The Eurail conditions of use are here:

https://www.eurail.com/en/terms-conditions/eurail-pass-conditions-of-use

It could be though that RENFE included it in their own conditions for the sale of the pass reservations. Your relative could ask to see the conditions where this is mentioned...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

AFAI remember RENFE indeed always wants to see pass (for me till now always paper) before they are even willing to do anything-REServe or open gates for cercanias.

Makes sense: otherwise anyone could come and buy seat only. RENFE really tries to keep as many seats for fully paid local customers as can.

AVE Barc-Mad run ev hour and have each 700+ seats.