Skip to main content
Solved

AVE seat reservation from France(Montpellier) to Spain(Barcelona)

• 29 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to travel from Montpellier to Barcelona on August 2nd, but the website says that seat reservations are not available.

Can I reserve at the Montpellier station for INT AVE train? (But I'm worried that there won't be any seats left if I do it on the day.)

+ If I ask a friend in Montpellier to use my Eurail pass to make the seat reservation in advance, is it okay to reserve a seat this way?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This train is annoying.

Reservations are only available on the day on the platform. Staff will let you onboard and then you'll purchase the reservation (should be around 20€).

Availability shouldn't be an issue. Staff walk down the train and give you a free seat (see the reports in this forum).

Have a plan B in case though. There are reservation-free regional services via Portbou.

Not possible at SNCF ticket counters (both companies hate each other). Only possible at RENFE ticket counters in Spain so if you know a friend there... they'll need names, date of birth and ID/passport number.

This train is annoying.

Reservations are only available on the day on the platform. Staff will let you onboard and then you'll purchase the reservation (should be around 20€).

Availability shouldn't be an issue. Staff walk down the train and give you a free seat (see the reports in this forum).

Have a plan B in case though. There are reservation-free regional services via Portbou.

Not possible at SNCF ticket counters (both companies hate each other). Only possible at RENFE ticket counters in Spain so if you know a friend there... they'll need names, date of birth and ID/passport number.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m really worried and afraid that I won’t be able to get on the train that day. Some people say you can stand in the bar coach if there are no seats available. So, should I just go to Montpellier station, show my Eurail pass to the Renfe staff, and pay for the seat reservation?

Also, do you know if Renfe staff are always present at the station? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just really anxious about this. Thanks so much for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This train is annoying.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m really worried and afraid that I won’t be able to get on the train that day. Some people say you can stand in the bar coach if there are no seats available. So, should I just go to Montpellier station, show my Eurail pass to the Renfe staff, and pay for the seat reservation?

Also, do you know if Renfe staff are always present at the station? Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm just really anxious about this. Thanks so much for your help.

The only RENFE staff are those working the train, there are none posted at any French stations.

It is a case of talking to the staff at the door of the train or boarding and sitting in the bar car and sorting it out on the move.

If you don’t like this option then the 10.17, 13.17 , 18.17 TGV can be booked online or there is the slower reservation free alternative of using local trains via Portbou.

This train is annoying.

Thanks for your reply.

The only RENFE staff are those working the train, there are none posted at any French stations.

It is a case of talking to the staff at the door of the train or boarding and sitting in the bar car and sorting it out on the move.

If you don’t like this option then the 10.17, 13.17 , 18.17 TGV can be booked online or there is the slower reservation free alternative of using local trains via Portbou.

I checked the eurail website and it looks like TGV seat reservations are unavailable. It’s probably because they’re sold out, but I'll keep checking.

It would be great if I could take the train through renfe staff. But if I can’t get on, it would be a big problem, so I need to look for more information and think it over.

Btw thanks for explaining so kindly!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Seat reservations are available on all 3 TGVs on August 2 Montpelier - Barcelona in both 1st and 2nd class €25 per seat.

Use www.raileurope.com but ONLY the desktop site as this has the option to add your rail pass to get the reservation.

We advise people to look elsewhere for reservations as the Eurail service is often not the best place, this site explains the best options for passholder reservations across Europe. https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

If you want the times for the slower non-reservation journeys give us your times

Seat reservations are available on all 3 TGVs on August 2 Montpelier - Barcelona in both 1st and 2nd class €25 per seat.

Use www.raileurope.com but ONLY the desktop site as this has the option to add your rail pass to get the reservation.

We advise people to look elsewhere for reservations as the Eurail service is often not the best place, this site explains the best options for passholder reservations across Europe. https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

If you want the times for the slower non-reservation journeys give us your times

Thank you!!