Solved

Berlin - Basel this summer

• 27 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello

I try to organize our trip in Norway, Sweden and Germany this summer. But I can’t manage to book our night train back from Berlin to Basel around the 18 august. I have the impression that there is work going on and that the night train will no longer operate from August 9. Do you have any tip about this trip ? I also try by the line Berlin-Paris but on the OBB web site there is written that no seats or aything available…

Thanks for your help and have a nice evening,

Karine

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 27 February 2024, 18:43

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Part of the vital Rhine mainline will be closed for 3 weeks this summer for works. The night train will start/terminate in Zurich and take another route through Germany.

Have a look at https://www.bahn.de/service/fahrplaene/baustellen/karlsruhe-freiburg

You can check times on DB Navigator app, maybe subject to changes.

It’s too early to book the Berlin - Paris night train, probably due to works in France at the same time. Beware that this one doesn’t run daily (yet). Check regularly and book as soon as possible (very popular route).

Questions welcome. :)

Thanks for your quick answer ! Do you think it’s more easier to take the Berlin-Paris or take the Berlin-Zurich and take other train to France from Zurich ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depends where you live in France I guess.

The Berlin - Paris will be the easiest choice but it doesn't run daily so you'll have to travel on 16th or 19th August. It's very popular so you'll have to book as soon as tickets are released.

Berlin - Zurich is daily and relatively large too. It'll probably take longer to reach your destination though.

The Paris night train might be more expensive but then you don't have to add seat reservations from Switzerland (29€ for a TGV from Zurich or Basel/10-20€ from.Mulhouse-Strasbourg). Hard to say!

Thans for your answer ! I'm going to wait for the Berlin-Paris because I cant find any Berlin-Zurich direct :(

We live in Lyon so maybe its the easiest way... (but not the cheapest !)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Timetables have not been published yet for Berlin - Zurich due to the above works requiring a divertion. Check back regularly.

You can easily do Zurich - Geneva - Lyon and you don’t have to stress about delays in that case : all trains are reservation-free. Services every 30 min to Geneva and then TERs every 1-2 hours.