Solved

Bernia Express Train

• 11 May 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi, I am planning to travel from Tirano to St Moritz and will be taking the Bernia Express Train. I have a second-class pass for Eurail. The eurail app told me I have to buy a supplement. Do I have to purchase a seat reservation or supplement? My family doesn't plan on taking the panoramic train as we will be taking the glacier express the next day.

also, will we be able to board the train without any reservation etc to sit in the regular carriages? We are afraid that there might not be any seats left if it is a popular route. We wouldn't want to stand for 2.5 hours.

Thanks for the help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 May 2023, 16:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Board the reservation-free carriages at the front, they won't be crowded. No supplements needed whatsoever. Simply add the train to the app like any other trains

There are hourly regional trains on the same railway too

Seat reservations are a complete waste of money in Switzerland and are never required except for Glacier Express (49 CHF, sells out weeks in advance). I'd advise to take the hourly reservation-free regional trains on the same route, it's much better abd you can stop along the way if you'd like :)

Board the reservation-free carriages at the front, they won't be crowded. No supplements needed whatsoever. Simply add the train to the app like any other trains

There are hourly regional trains on the same railway too

Can I check for Saturdays are the trains not that full as well? Thanks so much for the prompt response :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No you cannot check for the reservation-free trains but I've taken that line many times and don't worry trains are never full, a bit more busy on Saturdays and Sundays because a lot of Swiss people hike on weekends but that's all

Seat reservations are not possible anyway for anyone so simply show early to get seats if you're worried

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No you cannot check for the reservation-free trains but I've taken that line many times and don't worry trains are never full, a bit more busy on Saturdays and Sundays because a lot of Swiss people hike on weekends but that's all

Seat reservations are not possible anyway for anyone so simply show early to get seats if you're worried

Only on the front where there are the reservation free carriages. 

The rest of the train like thibcabe says, has compulsory reservation. There you need a reservation. 

Here like the train looks like. Only the front two carriages are reservation free. 

https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=972&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2023