Solved

Bernina Express reservation

• 23 December 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I had a look at booking sites for the Bernina Express and I’m unsure what they’re telling me.

I want to reserve seats for April 21 departing from Chur at 8:28 arriving at Tirano 12:49. After doing some research, I’ve decided to go on the panoramic train, first class using my Eurail Pass. The results I am getting from different sites is confusing me.

The Eurail site tells me “Prices for this journey will start to be available 60 days before departure.”

The help on the page says I can book at the following site, but that one seems to indicate that I can book BUT there’s only 4 seats left on the train

On the other hand, the OBB site says tickets not available

And Rail Europe says it’s available

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 23 December 2023, 12:12

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Looks like I’ve missed out altogether. No seats left from what I can see.

If this is so popular, booked out 4 months in advance, then will I be able to reserve some seats in the other first class cabins without panoramic windows, or it going to be a race on the day to see who gets in first?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

RhB is the website to use. Always go through the company whenever possible.

There are generally 2 1st class and 2 2nd class panorama carriages but according to the seat map only one 1st class carriage runs that day.

Often big tour groups book half the train and not a lot is left for regular passengers... might be the case here.

The panorama carriages require a 36 CHF reservation (price also recently increased) but you could travel in the regular reservation-free carriages at the front.

If you go right to the front you get to see the driver's cab. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Looks like I’ve missed out altogether. No seats left from what I can see.

If this is so popular, booked out 4 months in advance, then will I be able to reserve some seats in the other first class cabins without panoramic windows, or it going to be a race on the day to see who gets in first?

It's probably because I've just looked at that exact train and "blocked" seats. Check back in half an hour.

If there are window seats left and you wish to travel in those carriages book them. If only middle seats or not contiguous seats remain I wouldn't book at all.

You only need to be there before the Intercity from Zurich arrives at 08:22. Most people will come from that train.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

That’s a big disappointment. Do they have a wait list in case someone cancel?

Now that the panoramic train is booked out 4 months in advance, it leaves me wondering if I am going to even get a seat on the rest of the train. If people can’t book the panoramic carriage, they’re going to be queueing up for the other one won’t they? Can I reserve a seat somewhere, at least, to make sure I get a seat? 

What are my options? I need to get to Varenna by that night to make my accommodation.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ok, yes there are two seats left, side by side, opposite who knows who. Is that going to give both of us a decent view, or are we no better off than going on the reservation free seats?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Don’t worry - decision made and finalised. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ok glad you found something fitting you.

To answer your question : no, reservations are not possible on regional trains at all but that applies to everyone so all you have to do is go to the station 5-10 min in advance.

Almost everyone will be coming from Zurich so until 08:22 the train will be empty.

I also want to add that you are always allowed to board the train. As opposed to French high-speed trains (and others) where if the train has sold out you'll be denied boarding.

There are also hourly Interregio trains on the same route + the same number of trains via the Vereina route. Plenty of options, that's why not everyone will cram onto that train at all.

For sure weekends are busier than weekdays but they plan accordingly and add extra carriages (not possible on the Bernina Express as they likely don't have a big supply of panorama carriages).

If you find the panorama carriage too crowded/loud it's always possible to move to the quieter leading unit at any stop. That's what I did haha

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks for the update. 

You whet my appetite so much on earlier posts that this has become my personal top of the list must see on my trip, that’s why I was disappointed to miss out on the tickets. I have booked two seats side by side but it’s good to have the option you mentioned.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I noticed that you need to buy headset to hear the guide comments on the Bernina Express. Can I use my own? Wired or Bluetooth?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I'd say so but I can't remember how it was in 2019.