Skip to main content
Solved

Bernina Express Reservation in December

• 6 June 2024
  • 6 replies

I have purchased Eurail passes for our December trip, and we plan to take the Bernina Express from Tirano on December 4th.  I have checked on the Bernina Express website many times over the past 3 or so months, and I can’t find a way to make a reservation for a date past October 27.  Is there a schedule as to when I would be able to book a reservation, or am I doing something wrong?  I appreciate any guidance.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Way too early. Check back in a few weeks/months.

I have a 3 month booking window in mind but it could be less than that.

Btw in my opinion you could have a better experience with the regular carriages at the front: less busy, not loud and crowded and especially pull-down windows (better for pics!).

Way too early. Check back in a few weeks/months.

I have a 3 month booking window in mind but it could be less than that.

Btw in my opinion you could have a better experience with the regular carriages at the front: less busy, not loud and crowded and especially pull-down windows (better for pics!).

Thank you, that is helpful.  I’ve thought about the regular carriages. and understand the advantages (including no reservation fee).  Two things:  1.  we have first class tickets, if that changes the crowd issue any, and 2.  we are going in December.  Won’t it be a bit cold to open the windows for pictures?  Even if we don’t open the windows, I’m guessing others will?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’ve thought about the regular carriages. and understand the advantages (including no reservation fee).  Two things:  1.  we have first class tickets, if that changes the crowd issue any,

If anything, even fewer passengers in the same compartment as you, while the panorama carriages will (as usual) be fully booked.

and 2.  we are going in December.  Won’t it be a bit cold to open the windows for pictures?  Even if we don’t open the windows, I’m guessing others will?

The train is not going so fast on the scenic parts. Often 50 km/h or less. Just wear your coat and/or a scarf :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, rather the opposite. The panorama carriages are mostly used by tourists/group tours and those travel in 1st class while the regular carriages are used by locals/Swiss residents. For those (myself included) 2nd class is already expensive enough!

The 1st class area can be found at both ends of the Allegra unit. I had the whole space to myself when I paid the 1st class upgrade (while the 1st class panorama carriage was full and I didn’t have a window...). For reference it looks like this:

Obviously it’s your choice in the end but personally I wouldn’t pay 32 CHF extra per person.

No, rather the opposite. The panorama carriages are mostly used by tourists/group tours and those travel in 1st class while the regular carriages are used by locals/Swiss residents. For those (myself included) 2nd class is already expensive enough!

The 1st class area can be found at both ends of the Allegra unit. I had the whole space to myself when I paid the 1st class upgrade (while the 1st class panorama carriage was full and I didn’t have a window...). For reference it looks like this:

Obviously it’s your choice in the end but personally I wouldn’t pay 32 CHF extra per person.

Thanks for the picture and description.  This is obviously the first car.  Can you move from one car to another?  Could we first claim our seat in the panoramic car (if we purchased reservations), then once the train started moving, walk up to the first or second car to see if it was a better option?  Or perhaps take a few pictures in the open window, then return to the panoramic car to warm back up? :).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately no, the regular Allegra unit and the panorama carriages are separated. However, nothing stops you to switch at any stop. That’s what I did in Poschiavo (I think).

Here’s the train formation with a nice graphic and plenty of pictures! https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/vlak.php?zeme=RhB&kategorie=PE&cislo=952&nazev=Bernina%20Express&rok=2024