Solved

Bolzano to Monterosso Train Supplement

I tried to add the route from Bolzano to Monterosso to my trip in the Eurail app, and got a message that a supplement is required for this train. Apparently, all trains going via the Brenner route require this supplement,.

I tried booking via Eurail, but that wasn’t possible. The Eurail information says: “You need a mandatory supplement to travel to/from/within Italy. You can purchase the supplement in advance or on the train for a small fee (5 Euro). 2nd class: 10 Euro, 1st class 15 Euro.

The information says to book it via the ÖBB ticket shop. I selected the “Interrail/Eurail Global Pass” under “Discounts”. For 3 people, the supplement was 182 Euros 70 Cents.

Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? That does seem kind of steep, especially when Eurail says in the info that the supplement would cost 10 or 15 Euro, respectively.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much!!

Sylvia

icon

Best answer by ralderton 6 April 2024, 09:11

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On ÖBB, you need to add the discount and choose "One-way tickets” (NOT "seat reservation only”).

On ÖBB, you need to add the discount and choose "One-way tickets” (NOT "seat reservation only”).

Thank you for responding. I did that, now I get 173 Euros 70 cents for 3 people. Still steep, considering I made seat reservations already with Deutsche Bahn.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, it shouldn’t cost anywhere near that. It sounds like it’s adding the cost of full tickets somewhere. Have you made sure to add the pass for all passengers?

It depends which route you take, but you should expect to pay €13 for any train marked FR, FA, FB or EC, €3 for IC, and nothing for R, RE, REX.

If you post the exact date and times you’re looking at, I’ll check.

Thanks so much for replying!

I made 3 seat reservations through Deutsche Bahn for May 24 at 11:31 from Bolzano to Bologna Centrale. No seat reservations were possible with Deutsche Bahn for the other legs of the journey (which are Bologna Centrale to Firenze, Firenze to La Spezia, and La Spezial to Monterosso).

Then I found out about the supplement, so I tried ÖBB for that, with the results mentioned above.

I’ve been at this for hours, trying different options, and am ready to either bite the bullet and pay this or take an earlier train at 8:45, which would cost only $44 for 2 travelers via the Eurail website (my sister lives in Germany and has Interrail, so she’d have to book this reservation from her end).

But I’d be very happy if I could stick with our original plan and leave at 11:31. I’m hoping that I did something wrong and the supplement isn’t what I saw. Thanks very much!! 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For the 1131 train from Bolzano, you can buy the supplement onboard the train. You already have a seat reservation, so there’s no need to buy the supplement ahead of time. Although it would be nice if we can…

From Bologna, you have a few options. Oddly, the ÖBB site is not helpful in making a joined up itinerary, so I suggest you search and buy the next reservations separately 

14:26 FR Bologna - Milano Centrale €13
16:05 IC Milano Centrale - Monterosso €3

If you prefer, you can take the route Bologna - Firenze - La Spezia. This will save you €3 per person and get you in 20 minutes sooner, but you have a long wait at Florence, and then 3 hours on regional trains.

I tried to add the route from Bolzano to Monterosso to my trip in the Eurail app, and got a message that a supplement is required for this train. Apparently, all trains going via the Brenner route require this supplement,.

I tried booking via Eurail, but that wasn’t possible. The Eurail information says: “You need a mandatory supplement to travel to/from/within Italy. You can purchase the supplement in advance or on the train for a small fee (5 Euro). 2nd class: 10 Euro, 1st class 15 Euro.

The information says to book it via the ÖBB ticket shop. I selected the “Interrail/Eurail Global Pass” under “Discounts”. For 3 people, the supplement was 182 Euros 70 Cents.

Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong? That does seem kind of steep, especially when Eurail says in the info that the supplement would cost 10 or 15 Euro, respectively.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks very much!!

Sylvia

The ÖBB ticket shop can't sell this supplement for stations behind Brenner (inside Italy).

As the supplement is the same for any trip length you get it by selecting Brenner (departs 10.14) instead of Bozen as departure station. That doesn't matter for the validity of the supplement. 

It's also possible to buy onboard, but it's more expensive. 

Wow, thank you so much for that information, both of you! Do you happen to know what the supplement  from Bolzano to Bologna costs if purchased on the train?

And do I have to purchase separate supplements on each train? Our original plan was to go from Bolzano to Monterosso via Bologna, Firenze and La Spezia, and we’re fine with that, we’re in no great hurry.

I prefer not purchasing from ÖBB ticket shop at all, because it requires printing out the physical tickets at an ÖBB station, and we don’t have much time for that as we get in very late.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No problem, glad we could help.

You don’t need collect the ÖBB reservations - showing them on your phone or print at home is fine. You can also buy them from raileurope.com if you prefer. Just add the railpass in the search box

If you take your preferred route via Florence and La Spezia, then there’s two separate payments you need to make.

1. The supplement on the Eurocity from Bolzano-Bologna (either onboard, or in advance as @Hektor suggested).
  2. The €13 reservation from Bologna-Firenze. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wow, thank you so much for that information, both of you! Do you happen to know what the supplement  from Bolzano to Bologna costs if purchased on the train?

I’m not 100% sure, but I think it will be €10 second class, €15 first class if purchased in advance. And perhaps an extra €5 or so onboard.

That sounds reasonable, especially when compared to what I saw ÖBB earlier. Thanks again, you’ve been very helpful!

Userlevel 2

It depends which route you take, but you should expect to pay €13 for any train marked FR, FA, FB or EC, €3 for IC, and nothing for R, RE, REX.

EC, FA and FB are 10€, FR is 13€

I’m very grateful to all of you, this is a wealth of information and so helpful for our trip! 😊