Solved

Booking on train tickets in Italy via Austrian OBB site using One-country Itay Eurail Pass, possible?

Hi, this lovely community has been great help in understanding how to reserve tickets for Eurail passes. I understand that it is possible to reserve seats for travels within Italy via the OBB website. However, I currently hold the One-country Italy only Eurail pass instead of the global version. Since the only discount applicable for Eurail pass on the OBB website is ‘Interail/Eurail - Globalpass’, I was wondering if a One-country Eurail passholder like me will be able to use the OBB site to reserve seats. 

It will be great if there is someone who can share some insight if the tickets booked on the OBB site mentions anything about ‘Global pass’ as I do not want to get into trouble for booking the wrong tickets. Please help!

icon

Best answer by mcadv 4 June 2022, 06:40

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can do-no problem.

Reason; this is in fact a kind of sneeky workaround. Of course the Austrian system is based on selling In AT=Austria and those customers obviously are INternational. Lah!

And again: on the major lines with trains ev hour or more-there is not really a reason to worry about it all monthes ahead.

Can do-no problem.

Reason; this is in fact a kind of sneeky workaround. Of course the Austrian system is based on selling In AT=Austria and those customers obviously are INternational. Lah!

And again: on the major lines with trains ev hour or more-there is not really a reason to worry about it all monthes ahead.

Hey thank you for the response, I have booked my ticket via the OBB website. I have received the PDF reservation ticket. Do I have to go to a train station counter to collect a train ticket or is showing the OBB PDF enough for entering the station/boarding the train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can do-no problem.

Hey thank you for the response, I have booked my ticket via the OBB website. I have received the PDF reservation ticket. Do I have to go to a train station counter to collect a train ticket or is showing the OBB PDF enough for entering the station/boarding the train?

NOTE: if you generate the PDF, you can’t use a other form for the reservation. So please use the form that is the best for you. If you choose to collect it at the train station, this is only possible at train stations of ÖBB in Austria. 

Please check the conditions that apply for this reservation in the email of ÖBB. 

Could you also say to us how does this reservation look like? Is it with ÖBB logo or with an Trenitalia (Italy) logo on the reservation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do I have to go to a train station counter to collect a train ticket or is showing the OBB PDF enough for entering the station/boarding the train?

Your train ticket is the QR code you create when you have connected the journey in "My trip" to your pass. This should only be done jyst before boarding the train.

Can do-no problem.

NOTE: if you generate the PDF, you can’t use a other form for the reservation. So please use the form that is the best for you. If you choose to collect it at the train station, this is only possible at train stations of ÖBB in Austria. 

Please check the conditions that apply for this reservation in the email of ÖBB. 

Could you also say to us how does this reservation look like? Is it with ÖBB logo or with an Trenitalia (Italy) logo on the reservation?

Thanks Angelo, will go for the PDF option as I will not be in Austria. As for the ticket reservation, it contains the ÖBB logo only. Looks similar to this ticket here 

Do I have to go to a train station counter to collect a train ticket or is showing the OBB PDF enough for entering the station/boarding the train?

Your train ticket is the QR code you create when you have connected the journey in "My trip" to your pass. This should only be done jyst before boarding the train.

Ah I see, thanks! So I will have to show both my reservation PDF and Eurail app QR code before entering the station/ board the train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You show the reservation and your Ticket (Eurail Pass) on board of the train, when ticket will be checked. In bigger italian stations they check also at the entrance of the station, there you show them one of both, because they don’t look so closely on the ticket. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The Reservations for Italy booked via ÖBB have the ÖBB Logo and look like normal ÖBB Tickets / REservations. and not like the Trenitalia ones. 

@Angelo 

Hi!

Thanks for this interesting thread.

I have one question on the top of it.

Do I understand correctly that reservation from OeBB must exist as a physical piece of paper? This is what their mobile app said to me when I played with it.

If yes…. what is the best way to do reservation with your mobile only while in Italy? If any...

Regards,

Kuba

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi!

Do I understand correctly that reservation from OeBB must exist as a physical piece of paper? This is what their mobile app said to me when I played with it.

If yes…. what is the best way to do reservation with your mobile only while in Italy? If any...

Regards,

Kuba

No, you can show the PDF reservation on your phone. OBB will issue them to your e-mail address.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi!

Regards,

Kuba

No, you can show the PDF reservation on your phone. OBB will issue them to your e-mail address.

If you have print facilities at home I would advise you take paper copies as well - they only take a few seconds and are indisputably acceptable.(Some) Italian inspectors like to see paper reservations, I suspect it is quicker and they can move on.

Nothing worse than having to take your phone back to change to the PDF reader to find your phone plays up - in my case definitely operator fingers and thumbs. I had enough problems with mobile passes freezing as we went through tunnels ( once with a gang of SNCF inspectors threatening a 50 euro fine)  and then I found the tip on flight mode when travelling.

If you have print facilities at home I would advise you take paper copies as well - they only take a few seconds and are indisputably acceptable.(Some) Italian inspectors like to see paper reservations, I suspect it is quicker and they can move on.

Nothing worse than having to take your phone back to change to the PDF reader to find your phone plays up - in my case definitely operator fingers and thumbs. I had enough problems with mobile passes freezing as we went through tunnels ( once with a gang of SNCF inspectors threatening a 50 euro fine)  and then I found the tip on flight mode when travelling.

Sure, I will print the in advance reservations. I am thinking on a good way to do ad-hoc reservations while in Italy.

BTW It seems that everybody has a SNCF story to tell :).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Reservations in Italy are reasonably easy to buy for Freccia (10 euro) and IC trains (3 euro) trains from ticket offices (and possibly from Trenitalia ticket machines). There are also many regional trains using the old lines that do not require reservations.
There are regular trains on all high speed and IC routes so getting a suitable train should not be an issue. 

Alternatively you can use the OBB site and pay a small additional fee.

Remember that Italo trains are not within the pass network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie there is no small additional fee via ÖBB. Same price like via Trenitalia ticket office. 

Did you try lately at Trenitalia Ticket machines to book an Interrail reservation? I think it is not more possible. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Yorkie there is no small additional fee via ÖBB. Same price like via Trenitalia ticket office. 

Did you try lately at Trenitalia Ticket machines to book an Interrail reservation? I think it is not more possible. 

I stand corrected on the extra fee. I did say possibly re the ticket machines as I wasn’t sure, but knew somebody would advise if not possible - is that what you were saying, or is it just a pain to use their ticket machines for seat only reservations?