Solved

Bookings and Reservations - not sure if I understand or have lost the plot

• 7 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi All

Ok, I *think* I might be starting to understand how this works.
I have a 7 day pass.
I go and search for the trip on Rail Planner in the Planning section.
Add the trip to My Trip, which adds it to a travel day.
Then if it says “a seat reservation is required” for part of the trip, I go to wherever the country rail is and book a seat reservation (in this case LNER).
But I don’t need a ticket for the rest of the interconnecting trains if they dont need a reservation because it’s covered under the Eurail day of travel and the train companies don’t think you need to book a specific ticket?

Is that right? 
& how do we continue 1st class on the other legs of the journey if we don't have a seat reservation please?

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 7 April 2023, 21:27

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Many trains have optional reservations or no reservation possible at all. Add the journey to the app (it'll give you a QR-Code = your ticket), board the train and find free seats :)

Seat reservations and the app are completely separate. Whenever a ticket inspector comes you need to show both the pass and the reservation (if there's one)

Yes LNER will give you free seat reservations. Just a note : all trains in the UK have optional reservations (the app is wrong). They are recommended on busy mainlines but not mandatory.

tickets.oebb.at also gives free optional reservations for Germany, Austria and other Eastern European countries (no need for Switzerland btw). It is also the best place to book mandatory seat reservations in Italy (no booking fer)