Solved

Border crossing without border stop (EC 197 Winthertur-Munich)

• 2 April 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello fellow travellers,

I hold a Global Pass with Switzerland as country of residence. I want to travel with EC 197 from Winterthur to Munich. I do not have any inbound/outbound trips left. Since my pass is not valid in Switzerland, I will need to buy a separate ticket for the Swiss part. The last stop of the train in Switzerland is St. Gallen, the first stop after Switzerland is Bregenz. The rail planner app shows a stop of EC 197 in St. Margarethen (there is no such stop, so I presume this is either an error or a virtual stop for planning purposes). I can add the journey St. Margareten to Munich without the app showing this as an outbound journey. My question: Is it sufficient to buy a Swiss ticket to St Margarethen or do I have to buy a ticket to Bregenz?

Kind regards,

Michael

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 April 2023, 13:11

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

No stop in St. Margarethen? Normally they stop there. When will you travel? 

You can buy at a SBB Ticket Office with 100% discount for Austria. 

Should work also a Ticket to St. Margrethen.

Maybe the train will run via Buchs and Feldkirch instead?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The 17:33 EC from Zurich does not stop in St. Margrethen SG (per SBB App). I believe it is to discourage commuters to use that international train.

You can buy a ticket to Bregenz at a ticket counter as @Angelo suggested

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The 17:33 EC from Zurich does not stop in St. Margrethen SG (per SBB App). I believe it is to discourage commuters to use that international train.

You can buy a ticket to Bregenz at a ticket counter as @Angelo suggested

Didn't know that. In that case like I said you can buy a Ticket from Winterthur to Munich with 100% discount in Austria and Germany.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

A normal ticket to St. Margrethen should be enough indeed, since that is the border tariff point. Unless there's a saver ticket to Bregenz or Lindau (also check DB and ÖBB) that comes out cheaper.