Solved

Brussels midi or nord with night train coming from London?

• 24 February 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Full steam ahead
  • 36 replies

Hi there,

I’ve booked two sleeper cabins on the OBB Nightjet from Brussels to Vienna at the end of July, for my family and me. 

We’re arriving into Brussels Midi on the Eurostar from London at around 16.00.

I didn’t realise but I’ve booked the OBB Nightjet to Vienna from Brussels Nord, when it does actually start from Brussels Midi. 

Do you think I should try to change the booking so we get on at Midi or just leave it that we get on at Nord??

It departs Nord at approx 19.43, we arrive into Midi at approx 16.00.

Many thanks for you help!

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 24 February 2023, 14:34

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Don’t worry, don’t bother changing it.

Ticketing in Belgium works with tariff-zones. Brussels is a zone, in which more than 30 stations are situated. Any of these stations are seen as one. Which means you can board any train in any station in Brussels if you have a ticket booked from a station in Brussels.

Just board the train in Midi, it’s the starting station. The train will be there at the platform about 20 minutes before departure (dept usually 19h32). Brussels No(o)rd is only five minutes later.

Should you find yourself closer to No(o)rd, after some hours of exploring Brussels after getting of the Eurostar, board in No(o)rd.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you. And they definetly won’t say we can’t travel from there?! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you. And they definetly won’t say we can’t travel from there?! 

100000 % sure. There’s no reason. The train will be empty in Midi, as it is the first stop. Nobody will travel with the nighjet from Midi to Nord. Your places will be there.

10 000’s of people do that every day. Having a ticket to either Nord, Central or Midi and after the end of the day, just boarding a different stations in Brussels where they happen to be the closest at.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you! This forum is the best.

Hello - I think you have no worries, if you have a reserved seat.  Check the website for your date and time and I believe you will see that the OBB Nightjet originates at Midi and then collects more passengers at Brussels Central (about 10 minutes later) and then onto Brussels Nord (about 8 minutes later). If so, you will likely have no problem boarding a couple of stops early at Brussels Midi. Typically, passes/tickets are not checked until trains have cleared all the Brussels stations.

Alternatively, the Metro station is connected and below Brussels Midi and you can quickly take the metro to Nord, if you would feel better.

Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello - I think you have no worries, if you have a reserved seat.  Check the website for your date and time and I believe you will see that the OBB Nightjet originates at Midi and then collects more passengers at Brussels Central (about 10 minutes later) and then onto Brussels Nord (about 8 minutes later). If so, you will likely have no problem boarding a couple of stops early at Brussels Midi. Typically, passes/tickets are not checked until trains have cleared all the Brussels stations.

The NJ does not stop at central station.

Alternatively, the Metro station is connected and below Brussels Midi and you can quickly take the metro to Nord, if you would feel better.

There are also many many trains from Zuid/Midi to No(o)rd. But I wouldn't bother. The reservation prices are the same anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Cheers.

It’s only 7 minutes between Midi/Zuid en No(o)rd with Nightjet (or ICE).

I would advise you anyway to board in Midi/Zuid @emm 

It’s more relaxed to board at Midi, when the train rolls in at the platform well before departure time. You always have more time to get your tickets checked, find your places, get installed for the long ride.

In Nord it’s always more rushed and stressed, since it’s only a short stop and most people need to find the right carriage and places that are not well announced at the platform or station :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Most likely the conductor will so or so check tickets only after Brussels North station and so or so nothing to worry