Solved

Bucuresti to Budapest, How to make online reservation?

• 20 August 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I have an Interrail GlobalPass and am currently in Turkey. I want to go to Budapest from Istanbul. I have already booked the Halkali - Bucharest journey, and I want to book the Bucharest-Budapest journey on 1 Sep after 5pm.

I would like to book the Bucharest-Budapest night journey but on the Hungarian site, despite the addition of the pass, the fares are much higher than expected, perhaps they contain the seat + the ticket and I can't find a way to separate them. On the Romanian site, it is impossible to put a form of discount/pass in the entry data.

1. Finally, on the OBB site, the ticket is indicated as not available. Do I have to wait until I'm at the station to take these tickets?
  2. Moreover the schedules on the OBB and Interrail sites are totally different. On the rail planner, I see an 18:25 direct train. On the other hand, on the OBB, I see a 17:44 train with 1 exchange. Which one is correct?

3. Finally, if the OBB site is correct, I’d like to buy a seat reservation but I think the time zone of the OBB site is different then Interrail site. Could you please give me the key information?

Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 20 August 2023, 23:37

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The only night train that can be booked on ÖBB is the one bound to Vienna leaving at 14:50, stopping in Budapest early in the morning with border controls at 2am.

For all other night trains (18:25, 21:46 local time) you'll have to try your luck at Bucharest train station, it shouldn't be an issue in September. The price you see on MAV is indeed ticket + reservation.

The only night train that can be booked on ÖBB is the one bound to Vienna leaving at 14:50, stopping in Budapest early in the morning with border controls at 2am.

For all other night trains (18:25, 21:46 local time) you'll have to try your luck at Bucharest train station, it shouldn't be an issue in September. The price you see on MAV is indeed ticket + reservation.

Thank you for all that information. It's very helpful. I will write my way after I come to Budapest. See you soon!