Solved

Budapest to Bled - booking issues

Hi we are travelling in July (mobile passes). Trying to book seat reservations on the train from Budapest to Bled. There’s a few changeovers and it goes through the night which is why we wanted to reserve for peace of mind. On the interrail’s reservation site it is showing one of the trains (maribor to ljubljana) as unable to book reservations for. I looked on the OBB website and it also won’t allow me to book ‘seat only’ reservations for this train (says ‘not available’). But on the interrail site it shows all our connections for this journey as ‘reservation not necessary’ ie we can just get on the train with our interrail passes. So should we just turn up and do you think we will get on the train without seat reservations? Or does ‘not available’ mean the train is already fully booked and we will not be allowed on? I’ve heard that especially in places like Slovenia seat reservations are really not necessary, is this true? Grateful for any advice thanks :)

icon

Best answer by Hektor 17 May 2022, 22:10

View original

4 replies

It’s never a good idea to provide no exact informations. It seems that you try to use a night train between Budapest and Slovenia? Should it be a connection 20.35 from Budapest Deli arriving in Ljubljana 5.47 - it’s not possible to book because it’s not existing. So a seat reservation is indeed not necessary, too. :-)

Should it be an other connection, you should provide it to get reliable information.

It’s never a good idea to provide no exact informations. It seems that you try to use a night train between Budapest and Slovenia? Should it be a connection 20.35 from Budapest Deli arriving in Ljubljana 5.47 - it’s not possible to book because it’s not existing. So a seat reservation is indeed not necessary, too. :-)

Should it be an other connection, you should provide it to get reliable information.

Thanks for your reply. You’re right, I didn’t provide the exact information, this is because I was looking more for general advice on night trains in slovenia and if people think reservations are necessary. But what you’ve said is really helpful - we are actually looking at the 3.23 from Maribor to 5.47 Ljubljana. Are you saying that this train doesn’t exist? It is showing on the OBB website as well, just showing as not available to book. I didn’t know that would mean it is not running.  

The train from Maribor should exist, but the direct connection from Budapest seems to be withdrawn. 

For this train (MV1605): reservation not needed, but possible. But there's no "general rule" in Slovenia; it depends on train (tyoe).

The train from Maribor should exist, but the direct connection from Budapest seems to be withdrawn. 

For this train (MV1605): reservation not needed, but possible. But there's no "general rule" in Slovenia; it depends on train (tyoe).

That’s good to know. Thanks for your help and explaining