Skip to main content

Buy your Paris metro tickets on your train

• 6 May 2024
  • 4 replies

On the Eurostar, and on TGV trains, you can buy Paris metro/bus/RER tickets in the cafe on board.

It is so easy and means you don’t have to use the very complex ticket machines in Paris.  Saves so much stress!

Tip no 2: watch how other people go through the metro barrier before going through yourself - the ticket comes back out where you put it in - confusing! 

There are wider places for big suitcases - or a side entry where you can slide your case through, or push your suitcase through ahead of you as you go through the open gates. If you pull your case after you, it can get trapped as the gates close!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Paper t+ tickets (Paris Metro, bus, tram, RER central zone) are being slowly withdrawn, no new stock is being issued so these trains that were selling them are or have already run out of them.

Unless they switch to selling one of the Navigo smartcard varieties the useful facility to buy on board and avoid a scrum at various Paris terminus stations will be at an end.

Oh no!!  Thanks for the update Al.

That is such a nuisance - and just before the Olympics too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oh no!!  Thanks for the update Al.

That is such a nuisance - and just before the Olympics too.

Handily, the Mayor is doubling the price of Metro tickets for the Olympics. And she’s already tripled the nightly tourist tax on your hotel room! (One 4* hotel room, at full occupancy, now earns €6,000 a year in tax.)

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It looks like it is possible to buy t+ tickets in the Île-de-France Mobilités app:

https://www.iledefrance-mobilites.fr/en/tickets-fares/detail/ticket-t-on-navigo-easy-travel-card-or-on-your-phone

As Ralderton mentions, the prices will double during the olympics - I think it is from the 20th July. I am traveling trough Paris on the 23th July, so it it my plan to buy a t+ ticket a few days before the 20th July.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I hope it works… If not, it is only a €1,85 price difference. But my main reason for buying the metro ticket in advance, is that I don’t want to stand in line to buy it at a very busy metro station.