Solved

Can I still use my seat reservations even if I cancel my Global Pass?

• 22 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I purchased 6 Global Passes for my family of 6.  When I did the math it made sense.  But then when it came to booking I realised that trains were not always going to be my best option.  I now think I’m better off cancelling my global pass as it’s $3600 AUD that I can put into our holiday.  My question is; with the 2 reservations I have made what happens to my reservations.  I still need to take those trips.

Here’s what I booked:

Paris to Barcelona - 1st October 22 @10.12am - I paid USD $232 for my 6 set reservations.

London to Paris on the Eurostar - 28th September - I paid AUD $197.76

What happens if I’m on the train and they ask to see my Global Pass and we don’t have one?  Is there a way to pay the difference without cancelling my tickets as they’ve already been posted out? Thanks in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 22 August 2022, 08:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What happens if you get caught on a train without tickets? You get prosecuted for fare evasion.

Check the terms of the reservations and see if you can get refunds. As these are both routes where the reservations are specific supplements for interrail passes there is no way of using them without passes and none of the rail companies will be set up to convert them into standard fares.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There recently as an answer by ´service´ that RES, done via app, could in some cases be refunded, less % fee-but for paper RES (not needed at all for the €*) this was far more cumbersome and time-eating. You simply will not be able to pass gates with just the RES codes-both these links have that.

It seems you go off-season: airfares (but luggage will cost extra) Paris-Bcn will probably even be lower then, if booked smartly on a low-cost airline) as only the suppl. for the superfast trains-which just swish by without much to see.

Off-season advance fares on €* -like for early nov. are from around 40/50€/gbp/single-use the low fare finder in their site. That is barely more as this surcharge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Are you sure that it will be cheaper not to use a global pass? Without the global pass you can't use the reservation you have made.

I checked the price for a normal ticket for one adult from London to Paris on the 28th of September and it is 118 EUR right now.

The price for one adult from Paris to Barcelona at 10.12 on the 1st of October is 158 EUR right now.

If you didn't buy Plus when you bought your pass you will have to pay a fee of 15% of the price of the pass to get a refund.

Badge +1

Thanks for your help.  I decided to keep the passes :)