Solved

Can't book seat reservations in Italy with OEBB

• 16 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am trying to book seat reservations via oebb.at (as recommended in this community) for traveling in and out of Italy. The trip is on 20-04-2024 from Florence to Lugano. I am trying to book FR9504 from Florence SMN to Milano Centrale, departing at 6:55. And EC316 from Milano to Lugano, departing at 9:10 from Milano Centrale. However, via the OEBB site the seat reservations cannot be booked. What is going wrong? Should I just book them via Interrail reservation tool?

Kind regards,
Daniël

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 16 March 2024, 12:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Add Interrail as a discount and select one-way tickets. Book one train at a time.

You can also use Rail Europe (desktop version) : no fees, 2€ extra for seat selection.

Actually if you wish to save money I'd recommend taking the hourly reservation-free RE from Milan to Lugano (Locarno).

This does not work, when I select "Only seat reservation” it still provides no options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's literally what I said : you must select one-way tickets and not seat reservation only.

It's a bit counter-intuitive but it's how it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can save a few euros by booking the EC to Chiasso only (only works on raileurope.com). In Switzerland, no reservations are needed and almost nobody makes them, so you can stay in your seat from Chiasso.