Solved

Can't find night trains in the app for my longer journeys.

• 16 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

I’ve tried planning my route using the rail planner app but can’t seem to find any night trains. Some of the train journeys I’ve chosen are quite long (7-8hrs) and no option for a night train is available. I don’t really want to be going on long journeys during the day so a night train is the best option, does anyone know how to find a night train if it doesn’t show on the app or anything that means I don’t have to travel long hours during the day. Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Angelo 16 February 2022, 18:23

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Which route do you want to go? In the last years there is a revival of Nighttrains. But some areas still hasn't got back nighttrains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Many countries simply do not have ANY nighttrain. Also you did not tell us if that 7-8 hrs was in 1 train or with more changes.

If you google ´nighttrain in Europe´ or similar or even via wiki, you may find more hints as to what trips do still have those. Mostly it is in East-Europe. Inside Germany=DE there are some but these have seats only, normal daytime trains=ICE.

Also note that even with a pass you will most likely have to make extra REServations for all of them, even for just seats and this may cost quite a lot-sometimes even more as a night in a cheaper hoStel.

Esp. the new set of NightJet trains, based on Austria. Often even a full ticket booked online on a BUS can be cheaper as the supplmt you have to pay for those trains!

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

A non comprehensive list of Nighttrains in Europe (Not all existing trains are listed and some listed trains doesnt exist anymore :/ ) https://rail.cc/interrail-night-train

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Which route do you want to go? In the last years there is a revival of Nighttrains. But some areas still hasn't got back nighttrains.

My route is Zurich-Paris-Brussels- Berlin-Prague-Karkow- Vienna- Bratislava- Budapest- Zagreb- Bled 

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Many countries simply do not have ANY nighttrain. Also you did not tell us if that 7-8 hrs was in 1 train or with more changes.

If you google ´nighttrain in Europe´ or similar or even via wiki, you may find more hints as to what trips do still have those. Mostly it is in East-Europe. Inside Germany=DE there are some but these have seats only, normal daytime trains=ICE.

Also note that even with a pass you will most likely have to make extra REServations for all of them, even for just seats and this may cost quite a lot-sometimes even more as a night in a cheaper hoStel.

Esp. the new set of NightJet trains, based on Austria. Often even a full ticket booked online on a BUS can be cheaper as the supplmt you have to pay for those trains!

It’s with multiple change overs.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My route is Zurich-Paris-Brussels- Berlin-Prague-Karkow- Vienna- Bratislava- Budapest- Zagreb- Bled 

Of those journeys, only Prague-Krakow and Krakow-Vienna are currently served by night trains.

For Berlin-Prague, Vienna-Bratislava, Bratislava-Budapest, Budapest-Zagred and Zagreb-Bled the distances are simply too short for night trains to be viable, while for the Zurich-Paris and Paris-Brussels routes the operators’ focus is instead on high-speed trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On this route, the nighttrain you can use is krakow-vienna and maybe between Prague and Krakow. 

Zurich-Paris (High speed train TGV Lyria)

Paris-Brussels (In 1,5h with Thalys) 

Brussels-Berlin (very long, but no nighttrain. ICE to Cologne and change then to ICE to Berlin), maybe it would be a service from Brussel to Berlin and Prague, but I don’t think it would be part of Interrail.)

Berlin-Prague Eurocity Service about 4 hours

Prague-Karkow (maybe Nighttrain of Leoexpress (but only seats) and a classic nighttrain of CD)

Karkow- Vienna Nighttrain

Vienna- Bratislava local train service very short

Bratislava - Budapest Eurocity service

Budapest - Zagreb a bit long Eurocity service

Zagreb - Bled Eurocity service

You could change a bit your route and try to get the Nighttrain from Zurich to Bled or Nighttrain from Budapest/Vienna to Berlin or Vienna to Paris/Brussel.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

On this route, the nighttrain you can use is krakow-vienna and maybe between Prague and Krakow. 

Zurich-Paris (High speed train TGV Lyria)

Paris-Brussels (In 1,5h with Thalys) 

Brussels-Berlin (very long, but no nighttrain. ICE to Cologne and change then to ICE to Berlin), maybe it would be a service from Brussel to Berlin and Prague, but I don’t think it would be part of Interrail.)

Berlin-Prague Eurocity Service about 4 hours

Prague-Karkow (maybe Nighttrain of Leoexpress (but only seats) and a classic nighttrain of CD)

Karkow- Vienna Nighttrain

Vienna- Bratislava local train service very short

Bratislava - Budapest Eurocity service

Budapest - Zagreb a bit long Eurocity service

Zagreb - Bled Eurocity service

You could change a bit your route and try to get the Nighttrain from Zurich to Bled or Nighttrain from Budapest/Vienna to Berlin or Vienna to Paris/Brussel.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. For the Vienna- Bratislava, Bratislava- Budapest, Budapest- Zagreb, Zagreb- Bled is it still included in the interrail ticket, but you just don’t need a reservation for it? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Vienna - Bratislava is a 1hour regionaltrain (Reservation not possible)
Bratislava - Budapest no reservation needed but possible :) and in Summer recommened
Budapest - Zagreb reservation compulsory price arround 3-5€
Zagreb - Bled no reservation needed but possible :)