Solved

Can't purchase reservations bc says one res is no longer available but doesn't say which!!

I spent more than an hour trying to book all the reservations for our trip to Europe in April/May.  I go to check-out and says one reservation is no longer available!!  After an hour?  Okay, but it doesn’t say which.  Frustrating.  I try to click back to see if at any point it tells me which reservation is no longer available,  but no, it does not!   Instead, it empties my cart,

I wish I had not purchased the Eurail Pass.  The last time I purchased, back in 2018, it was great.  You could speak to someone, spend time with them booking reservations, etc.  Now you get an email back in two days!!  And the reservation prices are all over the place - much more than they said on website.  Plus, a $5 fee per reservation!  

icon

Best answer by seewulf 3 April 2023, 03:22

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I understand you're frustrated but without any details the community can't help.

There are often more reliable (and cheaper) websites to book than the Eurail website. See e.g.:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Or this thread:

There may be something with one of the trains you want to book, so please specify route, date and departure time of the problematic train.

The normal Eurail booking fee is €2 per person and train and for some trains Eurail charges more than the operator to begin with. Check the above links if you'd like to pay less where possible.

Instead of telling me that one of the 8 or 9 trains that I am booking reservations for are unavailable, shouldn’t it tell me which train is unavailable?  

Is there some way to figure that out other than going back to each individual reservation?

Thanks,

Xochitl

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well reservations usually do not sell out weeks in advance except for Eurostar, Thalys and some TGVs but there are some work-arounds.

Let us know the route, date and departure time and we'll help. It's almost always possible to check availability before buying passes.

Here are some websites to check availability without a pass :

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish (TGV within France)

https://www.b-europe.com/EN/Booking/Pass#TravelWish (Thalys and Eurostar)

And many more per the links given above.

Let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Instead of telling me that one of the 8 or 9 trains that I am booking reservations for are unavailable, shouldn’t it tell me which train is unavailable?  

Is there some way to figure that out other than going back to each individual reservation?

Thanks,

Xochitl

There are hundreads of Reasons why you cant book a train :) 
As requested from others you cant get any detailed help if you doesnt mention your Routes. 
Bestwise even with a date and depature time. 

After wasting my time putting all the dates and times and reservations in, and being unable to purchase the reservations, it then says my cart is empty.  I take a break and come back hours later, to do it all over again and hopefully find what reservation is now no longer available but when I try to put the first reservation back into my cart it says that reservation is already in my cart!?!  Then I go to my cart and it is empty!  What fresh hell!

I try a different browser and just get a spinning ball.  Next time I will book directly.

I am trying to book a trip from Copenhagen to Hamburg on April 23, there is an 11am direct train.

Zurich to Lyon on April 25m, leaving at 13:30.

Lyon to Paris on April 28th, leaving at 14:00

Paris to Bruges on May 1st, leaving at 16:46

Bruges to Amsterdam on May 3, leaving at 15:31

Amsterdam to Hanover on May 5, can’t remember the time I booked.

Hanover to Copenhagen on May 7, leaving at 11am.

These are all this year.  The times are approximate, from what I remember.  We have  two First Class Passes.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Xochitl

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I am trying to book a trip from Copenhagen to Hamburg on April 23, there is an 11am direct train.
Copenhagen to Hamburg either via bahn.de or via the DSB Udland page of B-Europe

Zurich to Lyon on April 25m, leaving at 13:30.
No Reservation within Switzerland needed for the Journey Geneva - Lyon i recommend the slightly Slower TER instead of the Expensive TGV :)

Lyon to Paris on April 28th, leaving at 14:00
Can be booked via the Website of B-Europe 

Paris to Bruges on May 1st, leaving at 16:46
Paris - Brussels can be booked via B-Europe but very expensive and just limited seats 
My personal suggestion is to go via Lille much cheaper and slightly slower (one extra change in Belgium needed)

Bruges to Amsterdam on May 3, leaving at 15:31
Just take the reservation free Intercity (cant be reserved)

instead of the Expensive Thalys that can be booked via B-Europe.

Amsterdam to Hanover on May 5, can’t remember the time I booked.
Can be booked via bahn.de

Hanover to Copenhagen on May 7, leaving at 11am.
Can be booked via bahn.de 
​​​​​The leg Hamburg - Copenhagen aswell via the DSB Udlandpage.

These are all this year.  The times are approximate, from what I remember.  We have  two First Class Passes.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Xochitl

I answered in red above as it was that way easier to advice directly.

@seewulf Thanks!  I was able to book directly the reservation with bahn.de.  Easier and cheaper.

The Eurail website has much to be desired.