Solved

Can't reserve Dimitrovgrad (BG) - Bucuresti.

• 24 May 2023
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone. I am from Turkey and I was thinking of going to Dimitrovgrad myself (I cannot book to dimitrovgrad from here online as well) and then going to Budapest using Interrail ticket but the train goes through Bucharest on the way. And Dimitrovgrad - Bucuresti seems like cannot be booked online. It says it can only:

• Book in person at a main station in Europe
  • Reservations only locally at train station in Romania

Sadly, I won’t be around any main station until I am out for my trip and I’m scared the trains will be fully booked ‘till I am there. And opinions on what else I can do?
Thanks!

icon

Best answer by MartijnV 24 May 2023, 15:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

When do you want to travel?

I didn’t do it myself, so best check this website and the country specific pages of the Man in Seat 61 (the source of all train wisdom in Europe, next to this community) https://www.seat61.com/Romania.htm and https://www.seat61.com/Bulgaria.htm

If that’s the only journey you’ll be making, you might be better of with booking ordinary tickets actually, as those two countries are rather cheap in comparison to the rest of Europe.  A pass won’t be good value.

As for as I know, you don’t have to be scared that trains will sell out, save for some night trains I think.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Looking at timetables your journey Dimitrovgrad - Bucuresti I believe your journey actually consists of three legs:

• Dimitrovgrad-Gorna Orjahovica
  • Gorna Orjahovica-Ruse
  • Ruse-Bucuresti 

I traveled the latter two legs 2 weeks ago and was worried myself about the required reservation, which I was in the same practical impossibility about as you are. 
It turned out that the reservation wasn't as compulsory as suggested. The train was half-empty, I showed my ticket, and it was OK. I did not have a reservation. 
Extrapolating this to the first train, I would suggest you just jump on. 

I can imagine things get more busy towards the summer, and then the situation might be more busy and managed more strictly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello everyone. I am from Turkey and I was thinking of going to Dimitrovgrad myself (I cannot book to dimitrovgrad from here online as well)

Istanbul-Dimitrovgrad can be booked at a Turkish ticket office, not online. Or if there are still available places, you can also pay the sleeper/couchette attendant (no seats available!).

and then going to Budapest using Interrail ticket but the train goes through Bucharest on the way. And Dimitrovgrad - Bucuresti seems like cannot be booked online. It says it can only:

That's correct. Reservation is only mandatory from Ruse to Bucharest by the way but I've seen a few reports that this isn't enforced.

For Bucharest-Budapest, there are up to 3 night trains and a day train. One night train (the early one dep. 14:50) can be booked on tickets.oebb.at (use the Interrail/Eurail discount and select "One-way ticket”). The other night trains and the day train need to be booked at a ticket office. If you're not staying in Bucharest, factor in at least 2 hours delay on arrival there, so don't count on getting the train departing Bucharest at 18:25.