Solved

Cancelled Connection

• 21 July 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi,

My husband and I were originally scheduled to travel from Prague to Salzburg via train on August 8th. Our original schedule had us taking a train from Prague to Linz and then catching another train in Linz and arriving in Salzburg. I received an email that there is a “discrepancy” with our trip and that our connection may no longer be available. When I looked at the timetable (https://fahrplan.oebb.at/bin/query.exe/dn?start=1&S=Praha%20hl.n.&Z=Linz/Donau%20Hbf&date=08.08.2022&time=10:04), it appears that our original route is no longer available. Instead, it appears that we would need to take a train from Prague to Rybnik, take a bus from Rybnik to Linz, and then catch our original train from Linz to Salzburg. My question is: can I use my original ticket to board the new train and bus, or do I need to be issued a new ticket? I don’t see a way to change the ticket on the website without paying for it again. It’s also not clear on the timetable who the bus operator is. It just says bus SV141. Can anybody help clarify this for me? I’ve tried emailing OBB but haven’t gotten a response. 

Thanks so much! 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 21 July 2022, 02:38

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The itinerary has changed because part of the line is closed for work.

It is the same route and if you check probably the same train number as your booking just now it terminates in Rybnik.

From there it is a rail replacement bus from train station to train station, these are put on specifically in situations like this where a line has to be closed, they are for rail customers and they will have space for the expected demand of those trains. Often this means there will be multiple buses provided.

You haven’t said what ticket you are using but your original ticket/reservation or any reservation with a pass is valid for the truncated train journey of the same number and reservations are not possible on replacement buses. You won’t be the only ones making the connection so there is really no need to panic about this situation. While it is not that common it is not unusual either, all railways have times when services cannot be run and are well used to organizing replacement bus services.

It looks like it has plenty of time to make the same connection in Linz but even if it doesn’t there are 3 trains an hour on this route so you would just take the next one. Reservations are not compulsory on this or indeed the Praha - Linz train.

There are 2 other routes you could take to travel Praha - Salzburg entirely by train, either via Vienna or Landshut, but they are both significantly longer in time (1h30-2h) so it is up to you.

Thank you so much for your response! This was incredibly helpful. We booked through EuroRail, so I’m relieved to know I can just use my original ticket. Thank you again for your help!