Cannot book reservation - Muchen to Roma Termini

• 27 December 2021
  • 20 replies

Badge

Hi, I cannot book a seat for the train route from Muchen Germany to Roma Termini, Italy, which I will take today, at 15.30 27.12.2021

I tried with DB, OBB, Interrail site. All notified that there is no price showing up, Impossible for booking seats, etc. How can I book? I have a mobile rail.

Please help.

Trúc

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I suppose it's the connection that leaves München Hbf at 15:34, with changes in Verona and Padova?

You can't book the first train (München - Verona P.N.) via Interrail anymore because it's less than 3 hours before departure but ÖBB still offers seats for 3 EUR. Reservation is not mandatory though so you can just hop on. You many have to pay the 10 EUR supplement on the train that Italian railways want from pass users.

The night train also still has seats available and on the Interrail website I can get to the payment page.

Since you didn't post any more information (like screenshots of any errors or the pages where you got stuck), it's impossible to say what went wrong. If you need to book, please go the a German Railways ticket office ASAP. They can also book these trains.

Badge

Thanks. Here is screenshot in OBB. In DB: impossible ticket.

Can I pay on the train? without any additional fine?

“on the Interrail website I can get to the payment page” → can you share the link?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Thanks. Here is screenshot in OBB. In DB: impossible ticket.

Can I pay on the train? without any additional fine?

“on the Interrail website I can get to the payment page” → can you share the link?

ÖBB cannot book the Italian train online, so that's why you don't see a price. They can book only the first train but reservation is not mandatory.

On the Interrail reservation website, just look up the Italian night train and you should see a prince for a seat (3 EUR + 2 EUR booking fee). If you want to book a couchette or a sleeping coach, then you should go to a ticket office.

In the night train, you can also pay the staff. No idea if there's a supplement.

Badge

Thanks. How about paying seat price on the train with/without fine?

Badge

Oh, sorry. I missed the last information you have written. “In the night train, you can also pay the staff. No idea if there's a supplement”. Thanks.

Trúc

Badge

Hi, I contacted the ticket office but they said no seats available for today and tomorrow. Can I with global pass get on the night train, without the reservation and just stand? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi, I contacted the ticket office but they said no seats available for today and tomorrow. Can I with global pass get on the night train, without the reservation and just stand? 

No, that's why they have mandatory reservation. Did the ticket office check the correct night train? Because the direct one from München to Roma indeed does not have seats anymore. For the night train from Padova (23:38) to Roma, both Interrail and Trenitalia show free seats. Can't you book it via the Interrail website? Just enter the departure station of the night train.

Badge

Yes, I checked correct journey and trains because i gave them my journey. I could not book the seat on interrail and trenitalia because the systems inform cannot make the reservation. 

Im on the train the Muenchen and bet my luck. If there are no seats available then I should go back home, waste 1 day outbound and book another day? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yes, I checked correct journey and trains because i gave them my journey. I could not book the seat on interrail and trenitalia because the systems inform cannot make the reservation. 

OK, then there was a problem on the DB side. Staff or system (or the connection to the Italian system), impossible to say.

The Trenitalia website cannot book the Interrail reservation but you can check availability. I see there are still around 50 empty seats. There's no way they will be full until this evening.

As to the Interrail website, I can get to the payment page when I enter only the data for the night train. If that doesn't work for you, then please show a screenshot with the error you see or where you get stuck. "It doesn't work” is very difficult to troubleshoot.

Alternatively, try the ticket office in Verona P.N. It should close at 21:00, so hurry when you arrive there.

Badge

Thats the screen shot from Interrail site. When I click on how to book this connection, it repeats the step. Is there anyway that you can help me book? Im using phone because Im on the train. Im happy sending money for seat booking first for you. Thanks much

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This screenshot is not the same night train that you will reach with the 15:34 train from München. Since you didn't post your exact connection, I presumed this one:

The 20:10 train from München does not have any seats free for today or the next few days. This one from Padova does.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think @rvdborgt  they want the direct nightjet munich-rome which is sold out.

You can take @Truc Phan like rvdborgt suggest the next Eurocity to Verona or Bologna and change in Bologna for the ICN (IntercityNotte) to Rome at 1:51. Or take from Verona a regionale veloce to Padova and get on the same ICN at 23:38 (this is a better option when you have a Flexi Pass with Travel Days.

You have to book the reservation of the ICN online at interrail website or at a Trenitalia ticket desk (please check the opening hours in verona/bologna). 

If this doesn’t work you could take the Nightjet at 20:10 from Munich (reservation starts from 14€, tickets.oebb.at, DB Ticket Office or Interrail online), to Milano P. Garibaldi (this starts in Munich on the same time as the Nightjet to Rome witch is sold out.)

Change in Milano P. Garibaldi or walk to Milano Centrale or change in Verona Porta Nuova on the next day to a Frecciarossa to Rome (10€ reservation - online Interrail or trenitalia ticket office in Milan or Verona). You need a new Travel Day for the Frecciarossa. 

Badge

Here is the screenshot for my whole journey

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Possibly. But in that case the first post was very misleading...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You only option is to take the nightjet from München Hbf at 20:10 to Milano Porta Garibaldi, the same train has the part to Rome wich is sold-out. Then change in Milano Porta Garibaldi (or you have to walk to Milano Centrale) or change in Verona Porta Nuova to a Frecciarossa to Roma Termini (you need a new travel day).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Possibly. But in that case the first post was very misleading...

yes you’re right.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You only option is to take the nightjet from München Hbf at 20:10 to Milano Porta Garibaldi, the same train has the part to Rome wich is sold-out. Then change in Milano Porta Garibaldi (or you have to walk to Milano Centrale) or change in Verona Porta Nuova to a Frecciarossa to Roma Termini (you need a new travel day).

The 20:10 from München to Roma still has sleeper cabins available for EUR 94. If you need a new travel day and another reservation for the Frecciarossa, then the sleeper maybe isn't such a bad idea.

Follow these steps to get a reservation via ÖBB:

Alternatively, go to the ticket office in München Hbf. It's open until 21:00.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Another idea: book a reservation for the München-Milano seating car. Then hop on the train and talk to the conductor if you might instead use the carriage to Rome. The train might be sold out, but it is not unlikely that some people cancelled their already booked trip because of the corona situation and couldn’t return their ticket as they bought a Sparschiene. For example a friend used last night the Vienna-Amsterdam nighttrain and even if the compartment was officially fully booked, they were only 2 in their compartment… 

Good luck!

Badge

Gentlemen! Thanks so much for your help and for

misleading info because I dont know what information I should provide. 

So, I booked the seat for night train from Munchen to Verona, seat from Verona to Roma Termini. All done successfully. 

However when I want to book seat from Roma Termini to Orbetello Monte Argentario, the system does not show the train journey. So I dont know if there is mandatory seat booking for this local journey or not.

I tried Italy train booking app but it only shows ticket price (not seat price).

Is it possible to book seat at train station ticket office? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

For the train from Roma Termini to Orbetello Monte Argentario you don’t need a reservation. It is not even possible to reserve as it is a regional train. Just hop on the train and add the journey manually to your pass (in case you use the mobile pass).